• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

bootup problems

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
After I replaced old hard drive with a larger one, transfer everything over to the larger one. It won't boot.
The older one was making alot of noise. So much I could't think.
I have:
Windows 98
1.6 gb hd(old) 4.6gb(new)
96mb ram

Do I have to do some adjusting in the BIOS?

Any help would be great.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
The HD is set to master.

Jamey

FPCH Member
So, you have both hard drives connected? How are they connected, is the old hard drive slave and the new one master? How did you copy the data across and did you then want the new hard drive to be bootable?

I'm not sure of your intentions for the new hard drive and how you want your system to be organised.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
When I did the transfer with "drive wizard" it was suppose to make the new hard drive bootable has the old one.

There is one problem, the old hd can not be set to slave. No jumpers on the back.

When they were connected the old was the master and the new one was the slave. The new one has jumper settings. I have also checked other sources, I have to reinstall windows 98. Is that true?

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
I am replacing the old one with the new one.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Well, if you successfully copied the data from the old to the new, you should be able to remove your old hard drive completely. This would allow you to use the new one on its own without troubles.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
It keeps saying it can't find the operating system.

Jamey

FPCH Member
In that case, it doesn't sound like the hard disk was copied correctly. The program you used would have to be able to copy boot sectors from the disk. If it just copies the files, it won't be able to boot because the boot information simply wouldn't be there. It sounds like you need a different tool.

bigmack73

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Would you know a free program that would do the job? I would hate to go back the old one, later lose everything when it crashed.