• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

broadcom wireless card dilemma

nickj8415

FPCH New Member
Lenovo 3000 N100

Operating system: Windows XP [change]

Original description: Celeron M 420(1.6GHz), 512MB RAM, 80GB 5400rpm HD, 15.4in 1280x800 LCD,
Intel 950, CDRW/DVDRW, 802.11abg wireless, Bluetooth/Modem, 10/100 Ethernet, IEEE 1394,
Fingerprint reader, 6c Li-Ion batt, WinXP Home

BIOS version: 61ET34WW

Operating system: Windows XP Professional

Operating system version: 5.01

Total memory: 512 MB

i ordered orange wireless broadband and it connects to the laptop via ethernet but not wirelessly, it recognises the network but wont connect or let windows configure the connection. I have an internal wireless card (broadcom 802.11) which i tried to connect with as well as with an adapter. I cant seem to connect to the wireless network at all.

Any ideas? I'd be eternally grateful.

im very close to tossing it out the window :p

PS 3 level 2 support people have given up on my laptop after 5 hrs of calls :|

Did you install any software from orange? I know the bt *** takes over the wireless config and makes a hash of it, I allways uninstall it when i see it.

I usualy let windows config the wireless, but the method for doing this depends on what is controlling it.

If you have norton internet security or some other firewall it will treat the wireless as a new network and you have to tell it how to run. This will dependon the firewall.

Another option is the wireless could be turned off at the router.

Dave

nickj8415

FPCH New Member
i have just reformatted so there is no orange software on it now. windows refuses to configure it. i have no internet security as i want to get the wireless working first so i can make sure its not that, that is affecting it. the wireless is on at the router and the other pc in the house can go wireless. its driving me insane... lenovo want forty quid for software support.. i know the card is working it just seems to be some setting ive no idea what it is

Did you install over the top or do full format ?

Have you installed the drivers for the card ?

If you have the broadcom stoftware installed remove it (but not the drivers), then windows should be able to manage the card.

Its possible that the card is bad.

dave