• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

BSoD - Help Please

Miggy1978

FPCH New Member
Hello everyone,

I was looking for some guidance and I hope you guys will be able to help me. The other night my screen froze on me (first time ever) and to restart I had to power off. When I powered back up I was given the option to start up in 'Safe Mode', 'Safe Mode with Networking', 'Safe Mode with Commond Prompt', Start windows normally, there was another option but I can't remember the details and I'm not at home to double check. It was something like Start Windows at last configuration point (or something along those line). Safe mode won't load as my screen freezes and when I prompt to start windows normally I get the following Blue Screen with the details:

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0000014C, 0x00000002, 0x00000001, 0x804F1BE2)

Can anyone let me know what this means as I can't get past this screen to do anything. I have a Dell Dimension 4400 running Windows XP sp2.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Paula McGrory
Glasgow, Scotland

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
the 0x0a partof the error message means..that a kernel-mode process or driver attempted to access a memory location to which it did not have permission, or at a kernel interrupt request level (IRQL) that was too high. A kernel-mode process can access only other processes that have an IRQL lower than, or equal to, its own. This Stop message is typically due to faulty or incompatible hardware or software.
so best try and et into safe mode and try a system restore...
what was you doing prior to tis error.
regards
danzil

Miggy1978

FPCH New Member
Thank you for reply.

I wasn't doing anything exciting other than looking at skynews.co.uk on the internet. Went to click on a link and that's when my screen froze. It won't allow me to start on Safe mode, that's what I was planning on doing but when I click for safe mode that is when I then get the blue screen detailing the error message above and can't do anything else.

Paula

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
try resitting all your internal parts,,,ie memory graphics card etc...etc.....no static though...#
do you have a spare stick of ram you can test with....
do you have an xp cd..
regards
danzil

maw

FPCH New Member
Any Luck in resolving this problem??? ---- I have exactly the same issue currently ----- same Dell 4400 running XP sp2, froze up on a web page and now won't reboot even in safe mode ---- all error messages are identical.. Not sure whether to give up yet.

struanr

FPCH New Member
I was running a disk check when I had to interrupt by shutting computer (Dell Dimension 5051) down. Now, whatever I do I get a blue screen with the message to run CHKDSK/F - how do I do that...? Any advice..?

struanr - please start a new thread.

danzil - does the stop error give you a file name ? I had the same problem on a machine and tracked it down to intel application accelerator.

I cant remember what the file name was...

The IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error is a catch all error and can be a sod to track down.

dave