• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Bypassing XP login screen

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I must have a mental block on this. I have an XP-Pro machine that I recently did a fresh install. There is one user on this laptop. When it boots, it stops with a window that shows my account and asks for a password. I don't have a password so I simply press the ENTER key and all is fine.

How can I set this so it just boots into my account without the stop where it asks for a password that I haven't set?

- thanks - Tony

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
AS - I understand and appreciate your concern about the malware. For the casual user, I agree. I even set some of my customers up with Limited accounts. However, that's not an issue for me at this time. I can blow this machine away and reload at anytime. There's nothing on here that I need to keep. I just want to start the machine and have it ready for me to get onto FreePCHelp.

There's a method I used in the past where I believe I deleted a pwd or pwl file. Once I did that, I was able to start the machine without it stopping at the login screen. That's the solution I'm looking for.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Seth- that worked and I thank you for that. And I thank AS for chiming in.

What I don't understand is that I ran into this problem a few times before. I think I used to search for *.pwl files and blow them away. Then when Windows started back up, you were presented with a window that said something like 'if you cancel out of this, you won't be asked for a password again'. Maybe that was in W98, but I am pretty sure it was XP. There should be an easier way for the casual user to get into XP easily. I recently reformatted this machine and reloaded XP. Just thought the user login would be seemless - meaning no need to enter a password it there is only one user.

One thing I did note is that there are actually 3 users registered: Tony, Guest, and asp.net. Maybe it's the addition of the two other accounts that prohibits auto login - although when I log in, the Tony account comes up automatically.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
np.

Don't know Kelly, as I've always used the method posted.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
The .PWL files were from the Windows 95/98 days and no longer exist.

As for the Tony, Guest, and asp.net accounts the Guest and .ASP are from software that is installed on the system for ASP and the Guest is a built-in account on ALL Windows NT computers. The Guest account should be DISABLED though.

Make sure only TONY is a member of the local administrators group.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Well - then that's the answer. PWL files that I remember blowing away to allow users to log in automatically were in the days of W98. Thanks for that.

Of note: my XP desktop used to log in automatically to my account - but no more. For some reason that I have explored yet, it now asks for my password which it didn't ask for before. I have no password, so I just press the ENTER key when it asks. I wonder if one of the updates changed things.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Method posted by Seth should allow it to auto logon.

TWEAKUI can also set it up to do that. You can modify the registry manually as well, but TWEAKUI is safer and a bit more secure in making the change.

Might be some part of FastUserSwitching that you have set wrong too.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Window's logins have always been a bit wonky. It's just a matter of finding a work around.

To which you have.

To which I'll shut up now.

...or will I? :)

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Seth - the work around you provided worked. I just had hoped that there was a solution that Windows provided that was a bit easier, more intuitive to the casual user. It should just be easier. Why jump thru hoops to simple log into your computer? Oh my - at this point I want my Mac.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Kelly said:
Seth - the work around you provided worked. I just had hoped that there was a solution that Windows provided that was a bit easier, more intuitive to the casual user. It should just be easier. Why jump thru hoops to simple log into your computer? Oh my - at this point I want my Mac.
Well that's a different topic.

It has to do with Capitalism exploiting the weak and ill informed.