• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

California Plans to Control Home Thermostats Via Internet, Radio

W

Wolfeymole

New plan to control electricity usage stirs controversy

To some, it's a simple, necessary step to safeguard the public. To others, an Orwellian nightmare.

Next year, California lawmakers will fit homes and buildings with special radio-controlled thermostats to help manage electricity shortages. The utility will transmit a suggested temperature setting through the Internet to local radio transmitters, which will then forward it via radio to the homes.

Consumers are allowed to override the suggested setting if they wish-- except when energy prices are soaring. At that point, the utility can dictate the temperature to reduce electricity demand, and avoid the possibility of outages.

The new rules, circulated by the California Energy Commission, would apply only to new and remodeled homes and buildings, for now. In the future, the program could be expanded to all structures.

Joseph Somsel, a San Jose-based journalist, attacked the proposal as yet another encroachment on civil liberties. He also worries that the signals could potentially be hacked, with possibly severe consequences.

"That's not possible," says California utility PG&E spokesperson Nicole Tam, because, "radio pages are encrypted and encoded."

To others, the state should focus on increasing capacity, rather than forcing residents to reduce demand. In an email to the Energy Commission, a Californian called the proposal an outrage. "We need to build new facilities to handle the growth in the state, not become Big Brother to the citizens of California," it stated.

Sourced from Daily Tech

"if it can be done electronicaly, it can be undone electronicly"

I am sorry, but this has got to be the worst idea I have EVER heard of.

1. It opens up doors for a brand new type of "Terrorest" Hacker. Hackers that not only go ofter your computer, but your home and wellbeing.

2. I can not even count the number ways this can affect our rights in the future. "new radio devices turn off cars if it is deemed the state is getting too out of shape"

3. IT WOULD BE CHEAPER JUST TO BUILD A NEW POWER PLANT!!!! CALI GETS PLENTY OF FREAKING SUN!! PUT UP SOME SOLAR PANELS AND CALL IT A DAY!!!

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Well all this control is coming like it or not (IMHO) it's just a matter of time.

I spoke with a friend of mine yesterday about this and he said, "Yeah, I have it on mine. They gave me $200 credit and $40 StarBucks gift certificate to have it, so I took it."

See, he didn't think a thing about it, yet others do. However I think there are more people that either like this type of "The Government is looking out for me" or are apathetic about it so that in the end it will be quite easy to continue to implement these things.

W

Wolfeymole

This then can surely be the start of things to come as you said AS.
Once it happens over your side you can bet a pound to a pinch of manure that it will happen over here.

tyrants that are too stupid to understand their tyranny oppress a whole country of retards that are too stupid to understand they are being oppressed. Welcome to the USA :rolleyes:

If I had the money, time and dedication (not to mention some way to move mater faster then light :p ) I would gather up those that actually use their brain cells and create a colony somewhere far away from the madness that is earth.

But I digress from my daydream. You two are defiantly right. Now that someone has suggested that kind of control, it will be implemented sooner or later, and the apathetic "Save me, Uncle Sam!" morons will be the ones that let it happen.

That does not change the fact that it's a bad idea all around. I mean, come on. We all deal with computers here. When is the last time you heard the phrase "It can't be hacked, it's encrypted!" and not burst out laughing? I know how easy it is to get into an encrypted Wi-Fi network just from messing around with my router. I can't for the life of me understand why a country so obsessed with terrorism does not see how wide open that kinda system would be to attacks.

You want take down the Power Grid in Cali? You don't even need to get near a power plant. Just set all the AC units in the state to 15 degrees and watch the grid fail under the strain. Instant pandemonium.

And I am rambling :D Sorry about that. I break out into a bad case of rant whenever I hear about stupidity (so it happens often :p lol)