• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Can My computer handle this grapics card

FPCH New Member
Feb 3, 2012
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi guys I was thinking of upgrading my old amd radeon 4200 to an amd radeon hd 6450. I want to make sure that my comp can use it before purcahsing.

My computer specs

Amd Phenom x4 830

8 gb ram

Windows 7 premenium

Manufactuar: HP

Oct 19, 2008
Wirral UK
Hi and welcome to FpcH

The important factors are:
1. Does your motherboard support PCIe x 16 cards.
Looking at the specs of your old card - this is PCIe x 16

2. Will your Power Supply Unit cope with the increased load it is going to be asked to supply.
The System Specs for your new card suggest 400Watt minimum PSU.
I suspect that your present PSU is 300 - 350 Watt so you need to check this to see if it needs up-grading.

The Specs also suggests a minimum of 1GB RAM - you have this.

The new card is also DirectX® 11 compatible.
If you are still using version 10 then it may be worth upgrading this too.

So - Yes it is compatible but check the PSU.

You don't say which HP machine you have.
If you have a standard ATX case then there is no problem.
Problems do arise if the case is designed for the smaller form factor motherboards.