• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

cannot start windows

annasandys

FPCH Member
Please can somebody help my pc comes up with this message

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
Windows root\system32\hal.dll.
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

whatever I do it does not matter which key I hit on the keyboard it just reboots itself to the same message.I have tried the safe mode and it does the same whatever key I hit it reboots with the same message.

many thank

Anna

annasandys

FPCH Member
Hi
Have a look at this from Microsoft
Post back if you need any further help or dont understand something ;)

Thanks for your reply but looking at the link I dont think it really helps.
It talks about loading a cdrom which I have not got ,as I said in my query I cant get further then a screen with the same message only to kep rebooting to that message.Sorry if I seem a bit dim but I am not pc knowledgable.

Many thanks

Anna

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Anna

Welcome to Free PC Help

Have you tried pressing F8 to again get into Safe Mode and hitting Last Known Good Configuration

If this doesn't work you may definitely need an XP disk to reinstall that missing dll file.

annasandys

FPCH Member
Hi Anna

Welcome to Free PC Help

Have you tried pressing F8 to again get into Safe Mode and hitting Last Known Good Configuration

If this doesn't work you may definitely need an XP disk to reinstall that missing dll file.
Hi Wolfey

I have gone to safe mode tried last known good configuration and every other option but it just reboots to the same message.

thanks

Anna xx

W

Wolfeymole

Did you not get any disks with the pc at all Anna?
It may well be that you have a Recovery partition on your hard drive, are you aware of one?
If your unsure right click on My Computer and choose Manage then choose Disk Management.
It should show if you have a recovery partition.

annasandys

FPCH Member
Did you not get any disks with the pc at all Anna?
It may well be that you have a Recovery partition on your hard drive, are you aware of one?
If your unsure right click on My Computer and choose Manage then choose Disk Management.
It should show if you have a recovery partition.

wolfey

I did say that I cannot get any further than the same old message about missing this that and the other.And that whatever I press on the key board just reboots to that message.So I cannot get to "my computer" or anything else .

Thanks wolfey

Anna xx

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hello Anna,

At this time without obtaining some type of illegal software there is no way to repair the system.

What is the make and model and how old is it?
Did you buy it from an online retailer or from a local computer shop?

If you have ANY local friends that have a copy of the Windows XP Home CD - you can borrow it from them just to repair your computer. You don't need their installation key, just the CD to borrow so that you can repair your computer.

If the computer is not too old you might be able to obtain a re-installation CD from the vendor. If it was a local shop then you might be able to borrow one from them as well, or have them look at it for you.