• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Cant boot my sony Vaio

booyaka

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
Hello

ive have recently been given a laptop and i attempted to recvover it back to its original state but half way through it sais the recovery disc has an error and i have tried it many times and it wont work

problem is ive wiped everythngi so when i reboot it comes up cannot find any boot up files or anythnig because ive wiped them in the half done recovery process

can you please advise

Thankyou

Jamey

FPCH Member
Hi there

If the laptop is still under warranty, you may be able to contact the manufacturer to ask for a replacement recovery disc. Or, search eBay for a duplicate of the disc you currently have.

Otherwise, if the laptop has got a Windows license sticker (usually found on the underside) then you are legally entitled to use a copy of Windows but you have effectively lost the media. Therefore I'd suggest finding a friend or someone you know who has a standard Windows XP installation disc and ask them to borrow it. Just make sure it is the same version as written on your license sticker (Home, Pro, Media Center etc).

Then you can follow this official Microsoft article: How to install or upgrade to Windows XP. Carefully read and follow the section named "Perform a clean install of Windows XP".

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
i agree with jamey,
boro a friends copy of the xp cd,
wha was the excact error message you was getting
regards
danzil