• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Can't connect to the internet

Erocs

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi all

Because my laptop was running so slow I have wiped my hard drive but now i can't get an internet connection via Wi Fi.

When hovering over the 2x screens it tells me wireless net works are available.When I click diagnose and repair I get a message "Plug a cable into network adapter local area adapter"

Can anyone help me do this.:)

My operating system is vista home premium.

My business laptop picks up the Wi Fi connection very well.

Thanks for your help......Erocs

Erocs

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Hi all

Because my laptop was running so slow I have wiped my hard drive but now i can't get an internet connection via Wi Fi.

When hovering over the 2x screens it tells me wireless net works are available.When I click diagnose and repair I get a message "Plug a cable into network adapter local area adapter"

Can anyone help me do this.:)

My operating system is vista home premium.

My business laptop picks up the Wi Fi connection very well.

Thanks for your help......Erocs

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Check the Device Manager to make sure all the drivers got installed properly.

Open Device Manager by clicking the Start button Picture of the Start button, clicking Control Panel, clicking System and Maintenance, and then clicking Device Manager.* Administrator permission required If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Make sure there are no red or yellow indicators on the devices. While in there, verify that there is a wireless device installed.

Erocs

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Thank you Kelly
I have done as suggested.
The only indicator I have is yellow and it is in the DVD/CD-ROM drives would this be relevant?
I also have In the Network Adapters file "Dell wireless 1395 WLAN mini card"...is this the wireless device you mentioned ?
Thank you again Erocs

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
As far as the wireless connection is concerned, it seems OK in Device Manager.

The yellow in the DVD/CD-ROM isn't relevant, but you need to address that in a separate thread.

I'm hoping that others will offer more help.