• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Can't find external hard drive

kosciosco

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hello,

Just bought a new external hard drive. I connected it to the PC (running Windows XP) using the USB connector and I get the usual noise to say that something has been connected.

Normally it sets off an autoplay routine but that doesn't happen and when I go to windows explorer to find the device it doesn't appear in the list.

so if the PC is acknowledging it is there, why can't I find it?

Any ideas?

Thanks

Simon

BeeCeeBee

FPCH Long Term Member
When you open "My Computer" does it show there?

Normally autoplay will only kick in if the drive came with software installed on it.

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
If you goto control panel and then admin settings, then computer management and then disk management on the left hand side. it should show there if nowhere else

Top Bottom