• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Can't turn off Desktop

PEV

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
I run an HPENVY23 desktop with Windows 8.1
I cannot turn off at start/shut down menue.
I also tried to turn off from the switch at top right hand which only put the PC to sleep.
After I post this thread am going to try again with top right hand switch and then if no good will pull the plug.
Any help much appreciated!
Ray

Rustys

Visiting Staff
PC Experience
Some Experience
Have you tried Alt+F4?

May have to try it a few times if there are open programs it will bring up the power/sleep dialog box. From there you should be able to scroll through the list to locate Shut Down.
I cannot turn off at start/shut down menue.
What happens when you attempt shutting down from the menu?

PEV

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Thanks for your reply.
I have used the age old 'pull plug out of wall wait 30 seconds and turn back on' and it works!!
Next time i will try your suggestion.
Ray

PEV

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
oh by the way Rustys when I tried turning off from Start menu NOTHING HAPPENED
Ray