• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Carn't search for files on my PC

F2kSel

FPCH Member
Every time I right click on a folder or HD and then select search instead of the usual search option I seem to get a sort of web search.
If I enter a file name it searches the web.

Also how do I get the left hand panel back that used to have details like HD space and other stuff?

I have done virus scans and stuff the other day and nothing major was found, I also did a rollback to a few days ago and still have the same search problem but the left hand panel was back.

Can anyone help please.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
It's hard to explain but here goes, First off when I open control panel I get one window with all the Icons showing.
Previously it had a panel down the left hand side with displaying options, when clicking on drives or files it would display information.
All I can get now is a list of the files and the patch.

Also if I click on any file or drive I get a web based search, even when selecting Start,Search For Files And Folders I get a large window with no search option the window is grey on the left and white on the right.
If I click folders on the task bar at the top it displays a list of files on the left.
If I enter the file name in the where it says Address it search the web.

I carn't find anyway to search for files and folders anymore.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
I've found out how to get the info back on the left hand side of the screen but I still carn't search files and folders.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

When in control panel is it on "classic view" or "category view"?

What anti virus software do you use?

Have you installed any "new" programs recently?

F2kSel

FPCH Member
It was on "classic" but now it's gone now I've set it to "category view" and thats fine.

I have tried quite a few programs over the last few days, most spyware and antivirus trails.

I don't know when this problem started either as I haven't done a search for a while.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
I would recommend to do a virus scan first just to rule that out. I could be wrong but rather be safe than sorry.

Follow these steps :

Your computer could be infected with Malware.

Malware is the term used to describe computer infections such as Adware, Spyware, Viruses, and Trojan Horses.
You will need to run at least two malware scanners as well as an Antivirus scanner that are listed in the following instructions.
Anti-Malware and Anti-Virus scanners perform different tasks.
The reason to run multiple scanners is to ensure that no single scanner is missing something.

The time it takes will vary depending on your system and your internet connection.
Typically the SUPERAntiSpyware and Malwarebytes scanners will take between 30 and 90 minutes.
The Eset online scan should take between 1 and 3 hours.
In most cases, these scans will suffice to clean and disinfect your computer.

For best results print the following instructions and bookmark this Web page
To keep this guide printer-friendly, use your cursor to highlight the contents below.
From your browser select File - Print and in the printer dialog box under "Print range"
click the Selection choice to print out these instructions for removal of malware.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Follow these instructions carefully.
  • Download ATF-Cleaner from Snapfiles.com to remove "junk" files from your computer that may contain malware.
  • You can also download it from Majorgeeks.com
  • When you run ATF-Cleaner, check the items as shown below for Main.
  • For FireFox, be sure to click on the FireFox tab on top and check the items as shown below for FireFox
  • NOTE: If you don't have FireFox or Opera installed then they will be grayed out and can be ignored
  • Then click on "Empty Selected".

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Install and run the free version (not the Professional version) of SUPERAntiSpyware from SUPERAntiSpyware.com - AntiAdware, AntiSpyware, AntiMalware!
    • Accept any prompts to allow SUPERAntiSpyware to install the latest rules and infection definition files.
    • You do not have to send them your e-mail address, just click next.
    • You can leave the automated check for updates on.
    • You can uncheck "Send a diagnostic report to research center" if you don't want to send the information.
    • DO NOT allow SUPERAntiSpyware to protect your Home Page settings.
    • On the Top Left select the Scan your computer button.
    • Make sure there is a CHECK MARK on all Fixed Drives.
    • Click "Perform a Complete Scan". Click "Next" and reboot the computer when prompted to do so.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Disable your internet security by right clicking on its icon (usually located in the system tray next to the time display) and choosing "Exit", "Disable", or "Shut Down".
  • Run an online scan with Eset from Free Virus Scan: Use ESET's Online Antivirus Scanner
  • You must use Internet Explorer for this online scan. FireFox, Opera, etc will not work for this scan.
  • Accept the terms and click "Start".
  • Once the scanner is ready, check "Remove found threats" AND "Scan unwanted applications".
  • Click "Start" to begin the scan.
  • When completed restart your computer
Make sure your internet security is enabled, and then please return to Free PC Help and tell us how the computer seems to be operating.
At that time, you will receive instructions to assist you in removing malicious programs from your Add/Remove program list if warranted.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
Did all that the other day and it really didn't find anything.
But I'll do it again overnight but don't expect it to find anything as I have spyware and AV installed.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
I mostly use AVG but yesterday I tried Nod32 but had to uninstall it as I couldn't read my emails.

It didn't find any viruses though.

Now and again I run trail stuff just to see if it finds anything but sofar I've been ok.

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
I am not saying it is a virus but you never know.

AVG is average. NOD32 is one of the best but its not free.

When you click START and then search do you get this screen:

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
You can try this:

Go to Tools then Folder options click on the view tab and select "Restore defualts"

But if you want the other mods will be online shortly and maybe they have better suggestion.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
Thinking back a day or two when I did the system clean you described above the online scan found 33 items but I never knew what had been remove, looking on the net I found that files in Search companion can be infected.

I'm thinking it has removed various files, I have tried to reinstall SC but I keep getting messages that it carn't copy the files.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Please go here Troubleshooting Windows XP, Tweaks and Fixes for Windows XP and double click "Restore Search" (to the left of 287).

Save the file to the desktop, then right click on the file and rename it to RestoreSearch.reg. Now double click the file and choose Yes to merge with the registry. You may have to restart the computer for the changes to take effect.

If that doesn't work, did anyone change the search options to "Search on the Web"?

F2kSel

FPCH Member
Nope didn't work, I'm the only one here and I don't even know where "Search on the Web" is located and I have been looking for something like that.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Is this just a firefox problem? If so try uninstalling firefox and reinstalling the latest version.

You said it works with IE6.
Does it work when no browser is open?

Can you search for files when it's working?

You said earlier that you couldn't search folders from the context menu either. Is this also when firefox is running or all the time?

After seths post you said "Nope didn't work". Is that in reply to the reg file he linked you too? If so did the file merge to your registry or did you get an error.

You said "I have tried to reinstall SC but I keep getting messages that it carn't copy the files". By what method did you try to reinstall?

Was it option 3 from the link I gave you? If so it did say you might need the XP CD.

Did you try the hotfix from the Microsoft link I gave you?

Like I said above though if this is just a firefox issue then reinstall firefox.

F2kSel

FPCH Member
No it's when I try and use a search on the desktop using a right click on any folder or drive and select search.

I get nothing when trying without a browser and that's the problem.

The file merged without a problem and reported success.

I've tried with browsers closed and it makes no difference.

I've tried to reinstall Search companion by right clicking on a file an inf file as described on other forums and done various other registry fixes. It does say it carn't find files in my i386 folder. I don't have one for a start.
I've also tried as described in option3 and get the same problem.
Hot fix didn't work either I think thats just an SP1 fix i'm using sp2.

Last edited: