• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

cd drive not recognized

manchi52

FPCH New Member
The CD rom was fine last week but this week when I put a CD in, it says there is no disk in the drive. It is not recognizing the command. Please help.

tekiegirl

FPCH Member
1. Have you tried different disks? Could just be a problem with one disk.
2. Try getting Windows to recognise the drive again. Right-click My Computer and click on Properties. Click on the Hardware tab and then on the Device Manager button. Expand DVD/CD-ROM drives (by clicking the + next to it). If your drive is not listed try step 4. If you see your drive, click on it and press the Uninstall button (top right, second from right). Reboot and Windows should reinstall the drive.
3. Download latest drivers, in case yours have become corrupted. Check the manufacturer's website to download drivers, if possible.
4. You could try unplugging the IDE and power cable from the drive and plugging them in again. Also do this with the IDE cable on the other board. I'm assuming this dirve is IDE here. Don't do this if you're not OK with going inside your PC.

If none of this works your drive may have just died. You could always try it in another PC or try reinstalling Windows.
Hope this helps.