• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

cd/dvd burning problems

jocky9

FPCH Member
i am having problems burning cds & dvds
my operating system is xp
i have a samsung cdrw & a lg external usb dvd writer, both used to work fine but now will play cds & dvds ok but will not burn them. i have tried itunes, windows media player, real player,power producer & nero
most times the software says the burn was successful but there is nothing on the disc
nero sometimes says the burn has failed & the error log says it is a Power calibration error
i have tried updating the drivers & reinstalling the software
can anyone help?
thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to Free PC Help jocky.

Do you see anything when you try to explore the disk?

Try this:

1. O the Desktop click Start
2. Select Control Panel
3. Click on Administrative Tools
4. Click on Services
5. Browse your way down to IMAPI CD BURNING COM SERVICE
6. Right click (on IMAPI) then select properties
7. In the middle of the window, it will say start up type. Click on the arrow to the right and select disabled.
8. Make sure you click APPLY then restart the computer.

If that doesn't work, reduce the burn speed by half and see what happens.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
Another suggestion... try switching brand of discs and make sure they are compatible with your burner. For example you may have accidentally purchased dual layer discs for a single layer drive. Or the discs you have may be made for a higher burning speed than what was intended for your drive.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
If all of the above doesn't work, I would try cleaning the lens with a cdrom cleaning kit, then uninstalling and reinstalling the burner:

Right click on My Computer and choose Properties then Device Manager. Click on the + sign beside cd/dvd rom. Right click on your drive and choose uninstall. Restart the computer and Window's will reinstall the drive.

jocky9

FPCH Member
thanks

I tried all of the suggestions but it still doesn't work
it says the burn was successful but the disk is still blank
any other ideas?