• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

CD / DVD Drive Mystery

whitelionel

FPCH New Member
Hi, I've got a NEC DVD RW ND-2500A rewriter which has happily copied all cds and dvds I've thrown at it. But, it has stopped recognising DVDs, classes them as CDs. I have tried different DVD manufactures etc. but it does it with all of them. Along with that the icon has gone in the drive list and when you insert a cd or dvd it brings the drive up as the MMC/SD card drive. Tried the manufacturer and got nowhere. Ani ideas very gratefully recieved, thanks.

Jamey

FPCH Member
Try using a CD/DVD cleaning kit, which will clean the lens of your drive internally. Otherwise, return the drive to where you bought it from for a replacement.

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Another post from awhile back....

Another possibility is to check for firmware updates on the drive as well as driver updates for the motherboard.