• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Changed shortcuts, HELP

dmk

FPCH New Member
I have somehow lost files and sub folders from within a folder. I have done a search and it appears that they have not been deleted but when I try to open the files I get a message saying that'the shortcut has been changed or moved'. How can I get these files back please.

tekiegirl

FPCH Member
1. Are you trying to open these files from a link on the desktop or a different folder? If so try opening the original folder.

2. Did you copy these files from removable media (e.g. removable hard drive, USB drive, CD, DVD) or a network drive? If so you may have only copied links to these files, rather than the actual file. You were opening the files from the original source. If the files you are looking at have a small arrow in the bottom left corner of the icon, then this is probably what you have done. Use the original media to copy the files properley (Highlight files you want to copy, right-click and select 'copy', then right-click in the folder where you want the files to be copied to and select 'paste').

Hope this helps.