• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Changing a battery on Surface RT

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
My Surface RT was exhibiting worn out battery syndrome - i.e. it a charge would only last less than a day so decided to change it.

Having decided to change the battery it was how to get one - so I looked up several companies on Ebay and found one who could supply to me - Following the Utube tutorial it was pretty easy to change it but when I fired up found the new battery was dead - i.e. had no residual charge at all. Undaunted I tried charging but although it works it does not hold a charge any longer than the old battery I took out! The supplier was informed and gave me a full refund without any fuss but said they could not send a new battery to Spain for some postal restriction reasons but that's where the machine and I now are.

So what next? Where do I get a good reliable battery from either in the UK or in Spain? I don't mind doing the change again so long as its worth it in the end - i.e. that I get a good long lasting battery like when I first had the machine.

Suggestions/ recommendations most welcomed

joddle

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi joddle,

After searching around, I see the problem you are having.
These batteries are not easy to come by.

I also see that M$ have had a lot of problems with these batteries.
Have you seen these links:

Microsoft publishes 6 step fix for Surface RT owners with battery issues after updating to Windows 8.1

Surface battery won’t charge
Thanks for that - however I did not see much of a change in battery life when I upgraded to 8.1 - its just that over the past year or so the amount of charge held in the battery has been getting worse. It used to hold a two or three couple of days at least with regular use but now it won't last a day even with little use! the new battery is not a lot better but I already know that was duff. What I really want to know is where to get a reliable replacement.

Top Bottom