• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Check Disk Wont Complete On Boot

bubbles

FPCH New Member
I have a Tiny desktop with an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ processor running at 2.4 Ghz with 1 GB of RAM and a 180 GB hard drive. I am using Windows XP Home Edition version 2002 with Service Pack 2 installed.

Recently when booting my computer a message appeared saying the disk needs checking for consistency but it stalled at 6%. It has never got past this amount and gives this message each time I boot. I can get into Windows by canceling the disk check but repeated efforts to solve the problem have failed. Strangely the computer won't let me into Safe Mode on booting – the arrow keys don't let me move up to the option and so eventually it times out and starts in normal mode.

I think the problem may have been caused by downloading a very large (10 GB) music (out of copyright) file from a P2P site but I can't be sure.

I have since deleted the file and uninstalled the program to no avail. I have also ran chkdsk from DOS which did complete but didn't solve the problem. Now for the really stupid bit: I recently moved house and cannot find my Windows disc anywhere!

I have never posted a message on any kind of forum before and hope this follows protocol. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

(Edited for legibility)

Jamey

FPCH Member
Thanks for including such a vast amount of detail but please don't type in uppercase, it sounds like you're SHOUTING. (I've reformatted your message for readability.)

The fact that Windows detects the disk has errors means that something has corrupted one or more of the sectors and data. When you ran chkdsk, are you sure you ran it with the switch that tells it to repair bad sectors? From this page:

To repair errors, locate bad sectors, and recover readable information, at the command prompt, type chkdsk volume:/r, and then press ENTER.
So, even if chkdsk finds the errors it won't repair them and so it would have been a useless endavour. If you can get into Windows fine, I'd recommend you run the Disk Cleanup tool to remove old junk files that are consuming space. I'd also recommend you download, install and run CCleaner which is a similiar tool but detects different things. Combined, those tools should remove quite a lot of old temporary files.

Then I'd recommend you inform Windows to perform a chkdsk operation with the option to repair bad sectors. I think overall this should fix the problem.

As for the not being able to use the keyboard to select Safe Mode, is it a USB keyboard? It may be that your BIOS doesn't have USB legacy support enabled meaning that before you boot into Windows, your keyboard is pretty much pointless.

bubbles

FPCH New Member
Many thanks for your response, sorry about the uppercase. I have run CCleaner and Disk Cleanup but when I try the chkdsk with the repair option it tells me it "cannot lock current drive." Thank you for the advice on the USB keyboard - will try to get one with the other connection from work tomorrow. Any ideas why it can't lock the drive?