• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

comp to laptop problems

jimbo232

FPCH New Member
hi i was just wondering if anyone could help me im tryin to link my pc (which is running win xp) to my friends laptop (which is running vista) to play link up games we have a crossover cable and have the game installed on both comps but when we try to connect it says it cant find any lan games we was able to transfer files but not play games and ever since iv fiddled and tried to get it to work its now stopped letting us transfer files lol

please can anyone help

You will need to set a static ip for both machines somthing like 192.168.1.2 on one and 192.168.1.3 on the other. Set the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 on both. The default gateway on both wont matter. Make sure the workgroup on both are the same.

You should now be able to copy files between both machines and play networked games. If it still wont work look at the firewall settings.

Dave