• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Completely Puzzled

Loplop

FPCH Member
Ive had my PC for a while now, its a gaming pc and i got it from cyberpower. Specs: MSI K9N Neo mobo, AMD A64X2 +4200, 1gb of OCZ platinum ram (getting another 2 tomorrow) Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254), 250gb 7200rpm HD, HIS 3870xt 500w PSU and i have all the latest drivers, updates, whatever. Now ive had this problem for the past few months, the computer starts up and at the startup screen the mobo gives off a few clicks and the one big one with "Drive Error F1 to Resume" and then i press F1 and it carries on, everythings fine, games run well, great even but after hours, the computer will just restart itself and go back to the startup screen, at first this wasnt a problem, it would only be after being on for 6 hours+ and if i was playing a demanding game, but recently its been getting worse, with times varying from 10 minutes to 10 hours and even when the computer isnt doing anything, i havent got a clue what it is, but i have sort of an idea. A month or two ago i decided i would try to overclock my processor and i did, but with next to no result, then after a while i tried again, but the computer would'nt startup, so i decided to reset the cmos, which worked, but thats when the drive error thing started popping up and thats when the restarts started, can anyone help? Ive attached a dxdiag file.

Attachments

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Loplop

Welcome to Free PC Help

It sounds to me like your hard drive may be having some problems.

Run hard drive error checking by clicking on Start>Run, and typing in chkdsk /f and clicking ok.
Note there is a space between the K and the /).
Press Y at the black screen that appears and restart the computer and the error checking will begin.

Do this and get back to us.

Loplop

FPCH Member
Right, i run chkdsk /f and pressed y then pressed enter, restarted the computer and, nothing happened, just logged on as normal, would belarc advisor be any help?

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Hi

Go into your BIOS and make sure floppy is not in the boot order or floppy disk not installed.

Also make sure the CPU is not overheating. Check all fans running smoothly.

Loplop

FPCH Member
Hi

Go into your BIOS and make sure floppy is not in the boot order or floppy disk not installed.

Also make sure the CPU is not overheating. Check all fans running smoothly.
Fans are definitely okay, my PC is well ventilated and my GFX card has a dual slot cooler so all of its heat goes out of the case. Ill check for floppy though.

Loplop

FPCH Member
Thanks alot!! :D Thats sorted out the drive error thing. But in the bios the cpu fan reported 0 rpm but is definately spinning inside the case, the temps for the system and cpu were around 44. Anyone that can help me with my other problem, please carry on posting, i will try everything and report back after saay a week just to make sure it worked properly :D

Loplop

FPCH Member
Typical, i posted that and then 2 minutes later it does the restart crash that its been doing, ive got 2gb of memory coming tomorrow, so ill be able to see if its a memory fault.

Loplop

FPCH Member
Right i got the new 2gb of mem today, so im running them now, ill see if it was a problem with my old memory by running these alone for awhile and then see if it was a problem with the slot that it was in by putting the old gb stick back in and concerning that: The new 2gb has different latencies to the old one but its the same make, OCZ Platinum, the new ones are revision 2 but the old one is XTC, will i be ok running them together?

Loplop

FPCH Member
What MTU setting for gaming?

Ive currently got mine set to 1400, whats the optimum? I want to end the stuttering i get in games like counter strike source, i have a low ping, but it freezes for 3 - 5 seconds at a time and i get massive lag spikes.

W

Wolfeymole

Right, i run chkdsk /f and pressed y then pressed enter, restarted the computer and, nothing happened, just logged on as normal, would belarc advisor be any help?
This should not have happened.

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt and type in the chkdsk /f again like I mentioned before.

Loplop

FPCH Member
This should not have happened.

Go to Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt and type in the chkdsk /f again like I mentioned before.
Right before i do it again, i did this last time, i pressed Y then enter, which closed the command prompt, i then clicked start, turn off computer and selected restart.

W

Wolfeymole

Just shut it down completely loplop then power up as normal and it should start checking your hard drive.
You are making sure that there is a space between the k and the forward slash / yes?

chkdsk /f

not

chkdsk/f

Loplop

FPCH Member
Just shut it down completely loplop then power up as normal and it should start checking your hard drive.
You are making sure that there is a space between the k and the forward slash / yes?

chkdsk /f

not

chkdsk/f
Yep, i did that and it ran chkdsk, is there a document for like a report or something?

W

Wolfeymole

Yes there should be, are you saying it's took less than 30 minutes to run a checkdisk on a 250GB hard drive loplop?

You should see a report similar to this;

Loplop

FPCH Member
Yes there should be, are you saying it's took less than 30 minutes to run a checkdisk on a 250GB hard drive loplop?

You should see a report similar to this;

I cant remember how long it was, i started it when i posted the, "before i do it again", where do i find this report?