• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Computer certification courses

compugeek

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Pc Guru
Hi all, I consider myself pretty computer literate and was wondering if there was a good all round computer certification course available anywhere, it would be great for my CV

Really sorry if I have posted this in the wrong place, this is the first time I have left a message in a forum :)

Any help or advice would be much appreciated

Thanks

Synapse

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
CompTIA A+, Network+ and Cisco CCNA

I wouldn't do them just for CV purposes, they are industry standard and not cheap.

compugeek

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Pc Guru
Hi, thanks for replying to my thread :)

Somebody else has told me to go for Comp TIA aswell

I was looking on this website and there's like a hundred courses listed - Just wondering what Comp TIA has that all of those other courses don't

Sorry if that's a stupid question, i just don't want to pay out for one course and then find that I need to do another and another etc.

Synapse

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Depends on what you want to learn and what area of IT you want to work in.

Some of the higher ranked MS certifications demand progression and passing of CompTIA exams, so they can be compulsory.

A+ is general computer workings, identification of system components, OS's, security and practical skills to work with and maintain systems. It sounds basic......there is alot of info to remember and some companies concentrate on getting you certified, not competent.

Best bet is to Google "A+ syllabus" and have a read.

The other two are based around networking and network technologies, and are tougher.

A service engineer or someone working a helpdesk would do well with A+ and Network+, a systems network engineer may need Network+/CCNA and maybe some server experience etc etc. It really depends on what type of work you see yourself doing.

Dalo Harkin

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
As Synapse has said there are lots and they change as the OS's do too,
MCSE for example has recently been replaced (MCSE is the Microsoft Certified System Engineer) which I have, but its now been superceded because of server 2008 (MCSE was based across server 2003)
There are literally hundreds of courses and you need to define what you actually want to do

Top Bottom