• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

computer gets to windows then restarts

atarimad

FPCH New Member
hi all,

PC is a 1.4ghz celeron
Advance 10T motherboard
384MB memory
2x40GB hard disks
Voodoo 3dfx PCI graphics card
On-board sound
350W PSU

I'm trying to install a legit copy of Windows 98SE. I can do all the Dos functions (i.e. FDISK, format etc) no problem. I get the files transferred then the computer does it's scheduled restart. The "loading windows for the first time" screen comes up then the computer reboots itself, goes into safe mode, gets to the windows screen, reboots etc. i have noticed on reboot, the memory is showing 256mb, and not 384 as is installed.

Could it be a dodgy memory stick, or are there any other plausible explanations?

pc tech

FPCH Member
Hi atarimad

To be honest if its not counting the memory properly you do have a faulty chip and windows will not load try removing the faulty memory stick
and re-load again