• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Computer "hisses" and shuts down!

Johnmusic992648

FPCH New Member
Hello, everyone.
Recently, my computer has started to act up. When I turn it on, it emmits a sort of electronic hissing noise whenever it thinks. The noise isn't loud, but present none-the-less. It takes about 15 tries for the computer to actually fully boot, restarting in between each try on its own. Finally, when it is all set, I'll be working on something, and it will randomly restart again, without any warning at all. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Jamey

FPCH Member
It sounds like a critical hardware fault. Back up your important data and files as soon as possible!

Often the symptoms you describe are indications that your hard disk drive is about to fail. This means it will permanently be damaged and will need replacing. All of the data on it will be lost once it has had what is called a "head crash".

If you are computer savvy, once you have backed up your files, you will need to purchase a new hard disk, swap it for the existing one and then reinstall Windows (your operating system). There is an illustrated guide to replacing a hard drive as well as the official Microsoft guide for reinstalling on your new drive: How to install or upgrade to Windows XP.

You will need a screwdriver, your Windows XP CD, some time and patience. If you don't want to do it yourself, find a trusted local computer store that will do the job for you. It shouldn't cost any more than £50 in fees.