• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Computer only goes to bios/post

alecom

FPCH Member
Okay here's how the cookie crumbles. I set up my new computer, which I put together with a friend. I format the HDD and install Windows XP. It's working fine. I then put the supplied chipset/drivers disk in and install everything from there. After each install it's asking for a restart, so I'm restarting it and just when I've nearly installed them all it starts going into BLUESCREENOFDEATH after a few seconds of being on desktop. Then restarts again.. recommends starting in safe mode. I do indeed start in safe mode, but in safe mode it does not let me uninstall some of the things that I've just installed. Therefore I try starting with Last Best Known Settings.. and then it's a blur from there on. I restarted so many times.. normal mode, safe mode, last best known.

I did a system restore (there was only the one from one of the things installed, but I had already installed chipsets and drivers before that). I uninstall everything I can from the menu.. everything it well let me. I then install the windows SP1 updates.. and it asks for restart. I restart and what comes up? BSOD. So we try restarting a few times.. in whatever mode possible, and it just goes to bsod. I even set the bios to fail-safe setup! "Fail-safe" .. yeah. So it's not working, and I want to reinstall. I tell from bios to boot from ODD, and then restart. It starts up, says 'press any key to boot' or whatever, something like that. I press the any key, and it goes..

_

.. and then blank black screen. Slightly worried.. I try to boot in safe mode again. Goes to black screen. I set bios to what I had before. Still this blank black screen. By black screen I mean that the screen is not in standby, it's just thinking that the computer wants to output a black void of hopelessness. I try going to the boot options screen, and it goes to the black screen. It will go to POST .. but after it does the countdown to boot (press esc to boot. #) it goes to black screen. And it will go to BIOS.. let me change and save setting there. But it doesn't make a difference. Since the first time it turned on, whenever it starts up, I get a beeep boop boop.

~the only time I have been close to being able to reinstall is when I have it to boot from disk and had the ODD in but the HDD disconnected. Then it goes to the XP setup screen... but it kinda doesn't help then because I havn't got the HDD to install it on. And I don't want to risk connecting the HDD while the computer is on and possibly confused anmd probably on the brink of going insane.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Alecom

Welcome to free PC Help

Ok this seems to be a bit of a mess, so first of all tell me what you mean by by the words ODD please.

I'm slightly confused over this statement too;
the only time I have been close to being able to reinstall is when I have it to boot from disk and had the ODD in but the HDD disconnected.
What is the ODD?

alecom

FPCH Member
the optical disk drive (cd rom thingy)

so I had the disk in, and the cd drive connected, but not the harddisk

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Yes, that's kind of messy.

So what happens when you have the hd installed and attempt to reinstall XP?

alecom

FPCH Member
when the harddisk is in, i get nothing
when it's not in.. it goes to a blue screen and a windows xp setup..

i'm going to try putting it in this computer :/
see if i can reformat it

W

Wolfeymole

I see

Without the Hard Disk Drive connected the Operating System would not have been able to install.
Reconnect the hard drive.
Go into your bios once more, set it to boot from your cdrom drive after making sure the XP disk is in that drive.
Make sure you save the settings in the bios before exiting.

When XP boots and asks you to; "Press any key to boot from CD", do this only once as it will ask again later when it reboots.
This is a windows foible.
Install windows then install your drivers then install all updates etc.

alecom

FPCH Member
Oh and also, when I have the hdd in, even when i tell from bios just to boot from cd, i still get the same problem

W

Wolfeymole

What I don't understand is that is it's impossible to go to an XP set up screen without a hard drive in. Do you have other drives in this pc?
If so is it a sata drive?

alecom

FPCH Member
i only have the one HDD and the one ODD ):

I have managed to get it into this computer and will now try to reformat

W

Wolfeymole

Let us know how you go on Alecom please so we can help you further as I feel this issue is not resolved just yet.

alecom

FPCH Member
Okay, once I've put it back in the new computer, I will let you know how installation goes... well, I'll let you know if it makes a mess of things still.

W

Wolfeymole

Ok please do but as I say if it's a sata drive the you will need to install the driver more or less immediately on setup.

alecom

FPCH Member
Well this is weird, there was an unpartitioned of 8mb
then a.. however much makes up the rest of the disk as partition1 c:
I just left it.. and did a quick format for install just to be safe, selecting to install on the partitioned bit.

Would the sata drivers be the 8mb? :S

alecom

FPCH Member
Woooo it works :D
The timeout session on this forum is kinda short...
Anyway, I'll just have to be very careful what drivers I install now. For my graphics card (nvidia 8800gt) it said the drivers were not windows certified... is it still a good idea to install them?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
The 8MB you saw is allocated to the hard drive for the XP setup.

Go to the manufactures website for the drivers. Don't worry about it if it says "Not Certified".

Then go into Device Manager and only install the required drivers for the rest of the system. Don't use that cd.

alecom

FPCH Member
ah okay. I THINK the problem may have been installing a certain MSI Dual Core Center .. when I have quad core :/
I thought it was duo core .. but bottom line being I was stupid.

I did press F6 and it loaded up a bunch of stuff.. then I cam back and it was just asking for install, so I did.

I'm being very careful what I install now. I want to make sure it's all okay before I spend the hours getting all the windows security updates