• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Computer reboots for no apparent reason

atnel8ly

FPCH New Member
I am running windows XP.

OS Name Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name UNITED
System Manufacturer PT880_
System Model AWRDACPI
System Type X86-based PC
Processor x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9 GenuineIntel ~2813 Mhz
BIOS Version/Date Phoenix Technologies, LTD 6.00 PG, 8/27/2004
SMBIOS Version 2.2
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "5.1.2600.2180 (xpsp_sp2_rtm.040803-2158)"
User Name UNITED\Joe
Time Zone Pacific Standard Time
Total Physical Memory 4,096.00 MB
Available Physical Memory 319.70 MB
Total Virtual Memory 2.00 GB
Available Virtual Memory 1.96 GB
Page File Space 1.22 GB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I have Noton anti virus and spybot. I also use Azereus quite alot for getting music and movies.
The computer basically runs fine, but just recently it started shutting down, and rebooting while I am in the middle of something. I was trying to burn a DVD, it reeboots. I am just listening to music, cruisin the net, and the computer reeboots????? Any suggestions???

Thanks, Joe

Jamey

FPCH Member
It could be either a software or a hardware fault. Microsoft have a help article for dealing with this: Windows unexpectedly restarts. It walks you through disabling the automatic restart functionality so that you can view the actual error Windows is having.

As the article says, once you have collected your error information, you can contact the manufacturer of your computer or Microsoft themselves. Alternatively, Google for your problem or post it here.