• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Connecting Laptop to TV issues

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi everyone, Can I just start this post by apologising as I know nothing about computers down to the point I don't even know if i'm posting in the right section.

I tried to explain this probelm to someone else earlier on and they got a bit confused so hopefully someone will understand.

Basically I got a cheap LCD TV for christmas and wish to be able to use it as a moniter for my laptop occasionally.

I bought a VGA cable and connected the two together no problems and after a bit of fiddling around managed the screen so the picture was pretty much perfect.

Then I plugged the laptop into its power supply and although the picture is still on the TV I get kind of ripples down the picture. The only difference between the laptop when it is connected and disconnected from the power supply is that its picture appear slightly brighter.

I've tried fiddling about with the refresh rate but it makes no difference,any ideas?

And thanks in advance.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Shrimply

Welcome to Free PC Help

Yes you are posting in the correct forum.

What kind of lead are you using to connect to the TV?
Is it an S-Video connector from the laptop to the TV?

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
yeah I do on the laptop but not on the TV which is why I went for the VGA. I acctually thought the TV did have a SVHS when I asked for it but turns out it doesn't.

W

Wolfeymole

SVHS is a common misused phrase for S-Video Shrimply and is simply a high grade tape viewing system and must not be confused with S-Video or Y/C (same).

I am presupposing that once you have connected the cable the TV defaults to the external AV input.
If you can't alter the lines manually on the monitor it may come down to acquiring an electrical interference suppressor.

Does the TV have any other kind of inputs besides the aerial, ie RCA sockets?

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Umm yeah,

OK
It has RCA ( but only video)
Scart
HDMI
VGA
YPbPr

And audio imputs for AV/PC and YPbPr

If that makes any sense.

Sorry Wolfeymole, but no way s-video higher quality than vga. Its just composite with the colour sent on the other line (sort of).

If you get a perfect picture without the power connected to the laptop and a bad picture with it then the problem is the laptop or the psu.

Its normal for laptops to dim the laptop display when off mains, it helps save the batt.

Whats the make / model of the laptop?

Dave

W

Wolfeymole

S-Video or Y/C (luminance and chroma) ranks alongside RGB Dave, if S-Video was inferior why have it on the laptop?

Several people seem to be in disagreement over this at this point.

Its mainly to do with bandwidth and encoding, the monitor will treat the composite / svideo as a low quality input like from a video recorder. Try setting the pc output to 1024x768 and viewing text on the tv. The main reason for having it on a laptop is for watching dvd's.

The link you gave is mainly talking about component vs vga , they are about the same. It did give me this good link though-

http://www.epanorama.net/links/videosignal.html

Dave

shrimply

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Thanks for the suggestions, i asked this question on another (non-computer) forum and was told that power interference through the VGA lead was fairly common and that a fix would be a more insulated cable. So came across a thicker VGA lead today and the problem is solved.