• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Connecting to wireless network

maximus444

FPCH Member
I have a laptop that has a wireless card and im trying to get it to connect with my bt homehub. It finds the network I want it to connect to, however when I try to connect it says "windows is unable to connect to the selected network". This is when it has full signal and is right next the the home hub?

maximus444

FPCH Member
I looked on there and tried pinging the hub as recomend, I got the mesaage "Destination Host unreachable". Im unsure where to go from here as it didnt give any more instructions on how to resolve this.

W

Wolfeymole

Did you look at the FAQ section Max?
Did you hard wire the connection?

W

Wolfeymole

Did you hardwire the pc to the hub via an ethernet cable and ping 192.168.1.254 which is the hubs IP address?
If it timed out then you do not have a direct connection.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Some laptops will do exactly as you describe if the wireless switch/slider/button is turned off on the laptop.

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
If you're getting a good signal strength indication on the laptop, then something else is the problem.

Is the router is set up with a password, like WEP or WPA?

Has the router been configured to filter MAC (Media Access Control) addresses? MAC addresses are unique for each physical computer connection. If someone set up filtering and your Mac address isn't in the filter list, you won't be able to get in.

There are a few types of wireless connections. They end in either 'b', 'g', or 'n'. If the router is set up to not allow a mixed environment - hence allowing only one of these types AND your laptop isn't capable of working with that type of connection, you won't get in.

Is there another machine connected to the wireless network?

If it's set up for a mixed environment AND a machine of let's say type 'b' is already connected to the network, then the only other machines that can connect afterwards must be capable of the already established 'b' type.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
If it's set up for a mixed environment AND a machine of let's say type 'b' is already connected to the network, then the only other machines that can connect afterwards must be capable of the already established 'b' type.

Interesting. I didn't know this.

So if the router is mixed, then it defaults to a particular type of signal depending on what the connected computer is capable of?

maximus444

FPCH Member
I have set up to the network before, but after a reinstall of windows on the same computer I cannot connect so I dont think its a problem with the router? and another machine is connected to the network

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Try going to the START menu, choose RUN, type in CMD and press the ENTER button. You should get a black screen with white lettering.

Type in 'ipconfig /release'' without the quote. When it finishes, type in 'ipconfig /renew' without the quotes. This might work.

If that doesn't work, try 'ipconfig /flushdns'

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
Seth - each type of connection 'b', 'g', 'n', uses a different modulation technique. The router can only handle one type of connection.

However, I think I stated something wrong when I posted. If you're connected wirelessly to a router with a 'g' laptop, the router runs at 'g' speed. Now if a 'b' laptop comes up and tries to connect, the router will throttle down to the 'b' speed to accommodate the newly connected 'b' machine (if the router is set for a mixed environment). The 'g' laptop then throttles down also because that's what the router is doing.

Going the other way, if a 'b' machine is connected and a 'g' machine comes up, it will connect at the 'b' speed.

maximus444

FPCH Member
I cant release the IP as "no operation may be performed on a wireless network connectio while it has its media disconnected"
I did flush the DNS with no result

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Can the laptop connect to any wireless internet?

Might be worth going for a quick drive to confirm this if no other network is in range.

Tony D

PC Experience
Some Experience
At this point, I'm at a loss. Without have another wireless connection to check with, I suggest that you reset the router to its default settings and see it you can get on. This is usually don't by pressing a small recessed button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds while it's powered up. Note: If you do that, you are back at the beginning. If you have anything with a static IP address like a printer or XBox or whatever, you have to reconfigure the router.

I would be nice to check the laptop with another system.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Kelly said:
At this point, I'm at a loss. Without have another wireless connection to check with, I suggest that you reset the router to its default settings and see it you can get on. This is usually don't by pressing a small recessed button on the back of the router for at least 10 seconds while it's powered up. Note: If you do that, you are back at the beginning. If you have anything with a static IP address like a printer or XBox or whatever, you have to reconfigure the router.

I would be nice to check the laptop with another system.
Agreed.

The best option right now is to see if the lappy can connect to another network.