• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

connecting vista to internet via xp.

galantina

FPCH New Member
Today my little sister got a new computer running vista for christmas and I have run into a few problems trying to connect it to the internet.

On my computer (which runs xp) my modem is only a usb modem and so i cannot connect my router to it.

Instead what I have done is connected the modem to a usb port on my computer and then connected the router to my network port and then connected my xbox 360 and brothers computer to the router.

Now for some reason both my xbox 360 and brothers computer (which runs xp) connect to the internet however when i connect my sisters computer to it, it simply wont connect.

It detects that it is on a network but it refuses to connect to the internet.

could anyone help me please.

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Galantina

Welcome to Free PC Help

I'm not into networking as such but a fellow member that frequents here is, so if you would kindly bear with us for a brief period we would be most grateful.
They can then assist you in this dilemma.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I've never connected an internet network in such a manner, but I'll try and help you out.

Vista uses a slightly different TCP/IP protocol, so it may need to be manually configured, or possibly disabled in order for it to get online.

Can you please check the properties of the Vista connection and report back with the IP addresses?

NOTE- To the best of my knowledge, no Internet Service Provider issues USB modems any longer. As such, a better option may simply be to get a standard modem.