• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

cooling fans

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
Hi guys im using a msi cuba motherboard socket LGA775 with a pentium D 820 2gb of ram and a nvidia geforce 7900 gs. I do alot of gaming it perfoms ok but i feel the cooling fan is a bit noisey im looking for a better fan that wont make as much noise the. Heat sink and fan i have at the moment are the original and are about a year old now i have had a look at some coolers but i need one that will screw down to my motherboard or an alternitive not sure what to do.............

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
hi guys im still having trouble finding a fan i bought 2 now from various sites and niether of them fit and i cleaned the heatsink and fan again. the pc is only noisy when i start to run games like eve or bf2 but like i say the first fan i bought was an intel fan and heatsink which clipped down to the motherboard and i need one to screw down the second fan a purchased was just a replacement fan but it apears to be slightly larger than the one i have so it wont fit over my heatsink.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
In general, you're not going to notice much noise difference between cpu fans that are running at the same RPM.

As such, you need to reduce the RPM by getting a better heat sink and fan combination for that socket. The link I posted has many quite coolers.

BTW-The thermal paste should have been applied using a razor thin layer. Did you do so? Also, what kind of thermal paste did you use, and are sure it's the cpu fan and not the video card fan?

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
didnt ad new paste after i had cleaned the heatsink what kind of paste should i use. and ill have another look at the site you posted thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Most silver based thermal paste will have the same thermal properties.

Try a thin layer of OCZ or Arctic Silver before spending any more money a different cooler.

ajackson269

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Operating System
ive purchased a new zalman 9700 for the pc which has thermal paste included as im sure its the fan that is a bit worn thanks for the help again ........