• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

D:\ is not accessible incorrect function

spudz

FPCH New Member
Hi guys, I am after some help regarding burning to cd/dvd in Windows XP.
I used to do it simply by going to my pictures then opening the required folder and selecting the required pictures. Then on the drop down menus to the left hand side in either Picture tasks or file and folder tasks (can't remember which) it would say burn to disk. However this choice has now disappeared and all I have is copy this file....but when I try to copy to Disk drive I get the following message D:\ is not accessable incorrect function:(. Any ideas :confused:? Have I dropped a program ? Where can I find it again? Please be gentle with me as technical things are not my thing!! Many thanks Spudz:D

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I normally just drag from the source folder right to the CD drive. This creates a temp file and then you select WRITE FILES.

You may have a CD creating program like Roxio CD Creator or Nero that has grabbed hold of the CD Drive on startup and won't let anyone else use it. Do you have such a program loaded on your machine? If so, go to START | RUN and type 'msconfig' without the quote in the text box and press the RETURN key. Once you're in there, look under the STARUP tab for anything that looks like it belongs your CD creating program and uncheck it.

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Spudz

Welcome to Free PC Help

If you want to copy pictures across just hit copy and then paste to the media in drive D:
Burning however is a different thing.
What are you trying to burn, music or a movie file?
What kind of DVD burning software do you have?

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
You appear to be using the built-in CD/DVD burning tools of XP.
They should work but you may have had some other program step on its settings.

How long has this been an issue that you're aware of?

Please look in your DEVICE MANAGER and make sure that there are no YELLOW or RED icons on any of your devices.
  • You can open Device Manager by double-clicking on the System icon in Control Panel, choosing the Hardware tab, and clicking Device Manager.

spudz

FPCH New Member
Thanks for your advice so far.....I have definatly just lost the option on the left side of the screen in Picture tasks that says Burn to Disk. I am just using the basic software that was installed on PC ...Windows XP Home Edition. I have discovered though that if I go through the Media Centre the I can Burn to Disk that way so it isn't the Burner etc. Very strange and annoying as I dont have any idea how long I have had this problem and dont know that I have added any programmes to cause the problem.:mad: