• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

deleted operating sound device program

raj_head

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
In an attempt to free up some space on my laptop, i came across a program called AvRack Realtek AC'97 which was quite large (over 2GB) and deleted it thinking it was just another program in which to play music from. This was obviously a very stupid thing to do because now i cannot play any music in any program. For instance while trying to play music in windows media player, an error comes up saying there is no sound device installed. I have thus lost all capacity for sound on my laptop, even volume contol in the system tray. Is there any way to restore this? I apologise if this seems trivial, im not very good with computers.

The laptop make is Advent, OS is Windows XP. Any more information that you may need then just ask.
Any help on this matter will be greatfully recieved.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi raj_head;

What model of Advent do you have. It seems that many ship with a Driver CD.
http://www.uktsupport.co.uk/advent/advidx.htm

Since there is no longer a volume control in the system tray you probably removed the AC'97 drivers for the sound card.

You might also find the audio drivers here.
http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...=23&Level=4&Conn=3&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false

AvRack does appear to be a media player but you can just download and install the audio drivers for your sound card if you don't have an Advent driver CD.

For some reason it appears that the media player and sound drivers for your card originally are installed as a bundled set. Use add/remove from the control panel to uninstall AvRack next time once you get the driver issue resolved.

Good luck.

raj_head

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Managed to download all the relevant drivers and its working again. Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

W

Wolfeymole

This thread appears to be solved and is now closed
If you are the original poster of this thread and need it re-opened, then please PM (Private Message) an Administrator or Moderator