• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Dell Computer

GRAEMEJOHN

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hello Everyone or anyone, need your help asap

I have just bought a new Dell PC as my old one died of death, we have Windows XP Home Edition in the old Dell computer, the new computer has got Windows 8 where we can upgrade to Windows 10

I have 2 very small Hard Drives in the old computer, what is the best way to transfer what is on the old small Hard Drives to the new computer?

KenB

Administrator
Hi and welcome to FpcH

If the old hard-drives came from an XP machine it is likely that the connections are IDE and the new machine will be SATA
You need to take a look and let us know.
This link will help - click here

I am thinking that it may be easier to simply add the old hard-drives into the new system as secondary drives.
No need to transfer anything then.
If everything is SATA then no problem.
If the new motherboard has an IDE connection - again no problem.

Let us know what you have.

If you are unsure - just ask :)

We may move this thread to the Windows-8 forum after you post back. :)

GRAEMEJOHN

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Hi and welcome to FpcH

If the old hard-drives came from an XP machine it is likely that the connections are IDE and the new machine will be SATA
You need to take a look and let us know.
This link will help - click here

I am thinking that it may be easier to simply add the old hard-drives into the new system as secondary drives.
No need to transfer anything then.
If everything is SATA then no problem.
If the new motherboard has an IDE connection - again no problem.

Let us know what you have.

If you are unsure - just ask :)

We may move this thread to the Windows-8 forum after you post back. :)
Hey KenB,

Many thanks for your help, i'll have a look over the weekend or as you say maybe easier just to insert the old drives into the new computer, many thanks again

KenB

Administrator
Hi
I have moved the thread to the Windows-8 forum.

Let us know how you get on :)

Top Bottom