• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Dell Optiplex SX270

spjm634

FPCH New Member
Hi,

This is my first post on this forum which I found it while searching the internet for a problem which I can not fix.

Please find below a PC spec, details of the problem and things I have tried to fix it.

I have a Dell Optiplex SX270 with Windows XP Pro SP2 installed. (512MB)
The picture seems to flickers every now and again, sometimes very bad, but most of the time just looks like the monitor is slowly .

I have tried the following

New Monitor
Changed Screen Res
Changed Refresh Rate
New Graphics Drivers
Changing Monitor Cable
Checked for Magnetic Interferance

Has anyone else had this problem with some other PC or any SX270's

The next step will be to change the PC but there is a lot of data/programs on it that will take alot of time to change over.

I want to avoid this if possible.

Please Advise, Thank you in advance for any information you can give me.

If there are any other details you need please ask

Regards,

SPJM634

W

Wolfeymole

Hello spjm634

Welcome to Free PC Help

The picture seems to flickers every now and again, sometimes very bad, but most of the time just looks like the monitor is slowly
Is slowly what?

You won't get any magnetic effects as it's not a crt monitor?
Are you running the monitor from the onboard graphics or a card?
Are you trying to do any gaming?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
It's hard to figure out video problems as they can be the monitor, the video card, or the driver.

You already tried another monitor. At this point I would try another video card. That may be difficult if you don't have a 'spare' to try. Can you borrow a video card from someone?

spjm634

FPCH New Member
Thank you for your replies

Wolfeymole

sorry I didn't finish that sentance thought I had,

looks like the monitor is slowly degarding.

Are you running the monitor from the onboard graphics or a card? - Onboard Graphics

Are you trying to do any gaming? - No mainly internet browsing.

Kelly

The Optiplex does not have any other ports (PCI, AGP, or PCI-E) for me to try another card.

Will I have to replace the computer?

W

Wolfeymole

Having looked at the Dell site with regard to this unit I have to say I have never seen a pc with such poor specifications.
If this unit is still under warranty I'd ship it straight back to dell mate.
You have the option however of trying a USB monitor.
It's an expensive option and one that I would not choose, however have a look here.

Samsung USB Monitor

spjm634

FPCH New Member
Its not under warranty had it for a few years.

I think my friend has one so could I try putting my hard-drive in his pc?

but does it have to be exactly the same model pc? or will it work in any?

W

Wolfeymole

Doing so could result in conflicts on boot up, running it as a secondary drive would not really offer the proper diagnostic either to me.