• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Dereck

I have downloaded a copy xxclone but it will not seem to recognise my D:drive although I have formatted it and the disk management software recognises it - have I missed something? have rebooted computer several times - if you can help it will be appreciated - thank you

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Hi Dereck;
I've never used the software although I have heard of it. I'm sure others know something about it so please be patient for an answer.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Is the D: drive a separate hard drive than the C: or is it just a secondary partition on the C: drive?

Have not use the program myself but similar programs want the destination drive to be another drive, not a partition of the same drive.

Is the D: drive a separate hard drive than the C: or is it just a secondary partition on the C: drive?

Have not use the program myself but similar programs want the destination drive to be another drive, not a partition of the same drive.

Thank you for the reply - yes it is a separate slave drive properly partitioned and formated.

W

Wolfeymole

Did you install the software on D:?
Do so and run it from there and place the cloned image on the D drive

Thanks for the advice but the D: has no os and the strategy did not work.
Anything else that may be at fault ?
even uninstalled the original from C; and rebooted before installing on D:

W

Wolfeymole

I think we have crossed wires here Derek.
Install the xxclone .exe program to the D: drive.
When you click install it will seek the OS which is on C: obviously.
Clone the OS and if it allows, copy it or send it to a folder on the D: drive.

no matter what I seem to do both source drive and target drive remain the same.
should i just get a copy of gjost or something commercial. All I want to do is make a cloned copy of my hard drive which is fully bootable , any other suggestions would be very helpful - thank you again