• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

desktop icons

tebowler

FPCH Member
I am 76 years old and not very computer literate
Recently I was given a laptop fot my birthday,to replace my desktop computer,Both have XP professional.
I have been able to put shortcut icons (such as my bank) onto my computer desktop for easy access.
I am able to do the same on my laptop, but when I try to open them up,the following message appears "This file does not have a program associated with it to perform this action.Create an association in folder options control panel."
I do not know how to do this.Can anyone help using simple language please. Ted

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
ok

I assume the file extension is html

Go to Start -> Control Panel like this:

Double click on Folder Options and click on the File Types tab

Scoll down to HTML and make sure it says Internet Explorer (assuming you use Internet Explorer as your browser) next to "Opens With"

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Please download the default association BAT (zipped) file from here:

Easy File Associations

Download it to to the desktop, right click it on it to extract, then double click on the .bat file icon that appears. Restart the computer and you should be good to go unless XP has other issues.

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

hello again
maynardvdm. It was exactly the way you explained.
seth. The desktop icon is xp_fileassoc.zip,I clicked on it and a window opened with the same icon,I clicked that and another window opened,saying File download -security warning.Asking if I was sure I wanted to download .I clicked run.I then attempted to open a bank icon on the laptop with the same result as before.
regards Ted

maynardvdm

FPCH Long Term Member
Right-click on that file on your desktop and select "open with" then choose internet explorer (if you want it to open with internet explorer) and at the bottom of that window uncheck remember this action.

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

Hello Maynardvdm
I am able to select"open with"but when choose "internet explorer" either by left or right click, a window opens called C;\Documents and Settings\MyPC\Desktop\xp_fileassoc.zip with one icon "xp_fileassoc.bat".
I cant find "remember this action" to uncheck.
Ted

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

I have tried to read and understand the information on the top of the link,without success. Im lost

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
The link for the file I gave you will restore all of XP's file associations to their defaults. It is a compressed file, so it needs to be de-compressed (extracted).

Once the file is downloaded to the desktop, right click on it, and a menu will appear. From the menu, left click on "Extract all". An option with a checkbox will appear to "show extracted files" (make sure there is a check mark in that option). Once the file is extracted, a new window will open with a file called "XP_fileassoc.bat". Using the left mouse button, double click on the file and a black window will appear with scrolling lines. Once that window disappears, restart the computer and test the shortcuts.

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

seth
I now have five icons on my desktop.
1. xp_fileassociation.zip
2. xp_fileassociation.bat
3. html_association.fix.zip
4. xp_fileassoc
5. xp_fileassoc.txt-notepad
Only 1 and 3 have menus with extract all files.
I have tried both without success

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
That's fine Tebowler.

The important file (icon) on your desktop is:

xp_fileassociation.bat

Using the left mouse button, double click on the file and a black window will appear with scrolling lines. Once that window disappears, restart the computer and test the shortcuts.

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

hello seth.
Everything went as you said, but again when I try to open the internet created icons, the usual message appears.
When I refer to internet icons,this excludes such things as google earth and skype where I downloaded a programme.
Ted

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

Hello
Have I done something wrong or upset someone.
Ive heard nothing since the 23 May
The problem is still with me

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Sorry about that Ted, but sometimes things get lost in the midst of it all.

Right click on one of the shortcuts that isn't working, then left click on "Properties". What does it say in the heading "Type of File"?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Continued from above...

It will be easier if you printed this out:

Left click on this line:

HTM/HTML Associations

Now save that file to the desktop. Once the file is downloaded to the desktop, right click on it (it will be called "HTML Association", and a menu will appear. From the menu, left click on "Extract all" and keep clicking "Next" until an option with a checkbox appears to "show extracted files" (make sure there is a check mark in that option) and finish the extraction.

Once the file is extracted, a new window will open with a file called "html_association_fix.reg". Using the left mouse button, double click on the file and choose "Run". Follow through until you receive a message that the information was added to the registry. Now restart the computer and test the shortcuts.

Last edited:

tebowler

FPCH Member
desktop icons

Hello Seth.
Thanks for the contact.I was getting worried.

The answer to the question,"type of file" is Internet Shortcut.
On the second part,when I click "run".A page opens up headed
html_association_fix reg-notepad,with lots of text example.
Windows registry editor version 5.00
(hkey_classes_root\.htm\openwithlist) page exe
( " " " " " ) notepad exe
( " " " " " ) winword exe

So I did not get to receive a message that the information was added to the registry.I did a restart but no joy.