• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

desktop wont load

giantsfan42

FPCH Member
when i boot my pc, desktop icons wont load and i cant get in any way i tried. Tried start up in safe mode but when i click to go to sys restore, screen freezes. Please help!

help4me

FPCH Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Basic
What operating system are you using? (i.e.- Windows Xp.... Vista....)

JEBWrench

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Media Center Edition
Okay, the start menu and taskbar don't load up either?

What programs come up as running when you're running task manager?

giantsfan42

FPCH Member
when i start up in safe mode it shows login and then it goes to black mode screen and stays there, i have to unplug to get out of it

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
From the same Safe Mode menu, try Last Known Good Configuration.

If that doesn't work, go into Safe Mode with a Command Prompt and type in the following to initiate System Restore:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

...and if that doesn't work, we will to know the make and model of the PC, as well as if you have an XP cd.