• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Dial up ISP

ylind

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Professional
I live in a remote area where the only internet access is via telephone lines Dialup ISP

When i first try to connect it tells me that I am connected at 24-32 Kbps I then disconnect and try again and may be connected at 38 Kbps. After several tries I usually connect at 42-45 Kbps.

My wife, with a similiar computer connects first time , every time at 49-50 Kbps.

We both run Windows XP prop 2sp mine has 384 and hers has 256mb memory.
Both modems are 56whatever you call them.

Anybody have any idea what may be wrong with mine.

Thanks

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Each modem can have different qualities and different settings.

If you go into the Windows CONTROL PANEL you should see an icon for you modem.

Double-click that icon and in the menus (don't have one here to test so going from memory of years ago) one of them will do advanced diagnostics and show you output from your modem and there or on a similar tab it should also show what your current INITIALIZATION STRING is.

Post the make and model and the Initialization String, and the diagnotics if you can from both your computer and your Wife's computer and we'll see if we can work anything out for you.

Cheers