• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Disappearing files

Carpruncher

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Running Vista Home Premium on a Compaq Presario with 160 gig hard drive.Kasperski installed. Hard disk is partitioned Factory Image 10.2 gig, c drive 79.5 gig, K drive 59.3 gig.
All data files on K have disappeared(59.1 gb free of 59.3.) Have run PC Tools file recovery but has not found any

Match

Free PC Help Tech Member
Hi Carpruncher

Hard disk is partitioned Factory Image 10.2 gig, c drive 79.5 gig, K drive 59.3 gig.
It's not a hardware fault as you C and recovery partition would have failed.

Kasperski installed.
This would make me think it's now malware related, normally malware also targets windows system files not data files

Have run PC Tools file recovery but has not found any
Not sure how good PC Tools file recovery is but I would have expected it to find something unless the drive was erased with a format!!!!

this brings me to the Question......

Are you the only person with access to the PC?

did you turn the PC on and they were missing? or did you turn the PC on and were they there and then disappeared while you were using the PC?

If so what were you doing when they disappeared ?

also do you have problems writing data to the partition now? normally I would say that trying this would delete and make any data that was there irretrievable but it would already seem to be lost :( !!!

Have you looked in the Recycle Bin?

Last edited:

Carpruncher

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Only I use the PC
Turned PC on and they were missing
Can still writ to partition
Photos mainly stored

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
They wont just disappear, unless told to, either by you or a piece of software.
Its possible they were removed by an archiving program, AV program (although unlikely it does happen)

do you have any archiving programs?
did the AV produce a report saying anything removed?

Carpruncher

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Don't have any archiving programmes and no reports. Have now tried 3 data retrieval software packages but no files found on K partition