• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

disc read error

kilster

FPCH Member
can anyone give me any advice, when i switched my pc on this morning it wouldnt start(boot) it had a message at the bottom of screen which said "disc read error" ,. i have pressed f8 and got into the menu is it worth pressing the button to reset to default's. or will i have to reinstall windows(if i cant fix it) thanks for your help
Kilster

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
Hello Kilster

We may have asked this question before but what operating system are you running? Windows XP Home ?

Is this a desktop or laptop and approximately how old is it?

Was this a BIOS screen you got into or the Windows SAFE MODE menu?

kilster

FPCH Member
it is windows xp home, desktop, the screen i got into was blue screen and there was a list on 1 side and one opposite with stuff like advanced set up , bios etc. pncpi computer management it was the screen you get when you press delete when it is booting up. i hope this explains a bit more , i think its 2nd edition xp

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
That is the BIOS screen. Basic Input Output System

That is for making certain hardware settings in your computer. Typically not required once the system is or has been running okay.

You need to try and push F8 once the computer restarts but not too soon otherwise you may get a keyboard error.

I assume since you're posting here that you have another computer to help assist you in repairing this other one.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Normally with a disk read error you wouldn't be able to access any XP Mode.

If you can get to the F8 boot menu, try Safe Mode and/or Last Known Good Configuration. Either way, you'll need to run a chkdsk /r as suggested.

kilster

FPCH Member
when it comes on it says searching for boot record from IDE 0. if that is any help, also i can get onto the screen where you press delete on start up to get to a screen where i think all the settings are. at the bottom of the page it says searching for boot record from IDE -0..ok. also how do i do the chkdsc, where do i print it
thanks kilster

W

Wolfeymole

When you run chkdsk /r Kilster what happens is the your pc will check the disk when you reboot.
Checkdisk cannot be done on an Active boot partition, example C:, until you do so.

Have you done this?

If not, and to be honest you are vague in your reply as to whether you have, then read this very carefully.

kilster

FPCH Member
sorry for this but i might sound a bit thick but i have not ran dscchk because the only screen i can get up is the one when ive pressed delete, and things like advanced set up, cpni and a few other settings. if that is any help, the only other thing i can say is that it is saying searching for boot record. i cant get to the screen where you press start, run, chkdsc. sorry again if i am

W

Wolfeymole

Ok when you start the PC up initially do you see a screen similar to the one below?

This indicates whether any drive is found and that your memory status is ok

The primary disk shown in the pic is the hard drive, do you see a figure shown as Primary?

kilster

FPCH Member
yes i can get that screen. when i look into advanced set up it says quick boot enabled, 1st boot CDROM, 2nd IDE 0, 3rd ATAPI ZIPC
it is saying pri master IDE HARD DISC

W

Wolfeymole

Reboot and press F8 and get into this screen;

Choose Safe Mode with Command Prompt

When it goes to the command prompt type chkdsk /r

kilster

FPCH Member
im pressing f8 but its not letting me get in. when it is coming on that screen it is saying something like hitachi (my h/drive) and being disabled. if you know how to fix this, could you tell me what caused it a virus or something
just letting you know now ive got it as primary hitachi etc.so it is finding my h/drive, but im still getting the disc read error

W

Wolfeymole

In that case it sounds like the Hitachi drive has died Kilster.
You could try hooking it up as a slave drive in another pc to see if you can get any files off it.