• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Disk boot problems

mizoram

FPCH New Member
Hi,
I want to repaired used computer, win98 OS. But while I boot up, it always display 'DISK BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISK AND PRESS ENTER'. Please help.

SS

FPCH Member
Sounds like you've got a knackered hard drive to me.

3 things to check:

- Check the BIOS and see what device its trying to boot from. The above message can be as simple as the PC trying to boot from a floppy/CD with a non-bootable disk in the drive. You want the option called "Boot Priority" or similar.

- If its trying to boot from the hard-drive, check the BIOS to see if its recognising the drive. Somewhere in there is usually a screen which displays the IDE devices. It should list your hard-drive (probably) as primary master, and then (probably) your CD drive(s) as secondary master & slave.

- If the BIOS can see the drive (meaning it isn't totally dead) then you could do worse than download (or get a friend to download) the Ultimate Boot CD - http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/. It is a self-booting CD which contains lots of diagnostic tools. Choose one for hard-drives, run a test and see what results you get.

Report back and we'll see what we can do.