• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Disk Defragmenting

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
I have been unable to defragment my C drive but receive the following message: Disk Defragmenter has detected the Chkdsk is scheduled to run on the volume: (C:). Please run Chkdsk /f. When I try to run Chkdsk /f I receive the following: Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process.
How can I resolve this problem in order to defragment please?

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Mike

Welcome to Free PC Help

Chkdsk will not run on C: as it is the active boot partition.

You should see the message "Would you like run chkdsk on startup?"

Chkdsk will then run and check C: before the operating system loads.

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
Hi Wolfeymole and thank you for your welcome.
Yes, the full second message read "Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N)
When I type 'Y' another message is displayed: "Windows cannot end this programme. It may need more time to complete the operation etc etc"
Is there any other way to run Chkdsk?

W

Wolfeymole

Just shut the system down Mike and Restart.

It will then check the drive on reboot mate.

Get back to us if it doesn't.

johnbee

FPCH New Member
For what it is worth, on my PC I think that in order to run chkdsk, it has to be a full switchoff for it to run, it doesn't do it on a mere restart. Bear in mind, too, that it takes a very long time to run - best to give it three hours at least.

When I run it, I always type chkdsk /r at the 'dos prompt' to be sure that it does the repairs on the next bootup.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
johnbee said:
For what it is worth, on my PC I think that in order to run chkdsk, it has to be a full switchoff for it to run, it doesn't do it on a mere restart. Bear in mind, too, that it takes a very long time to run - best to give it three hours at least.

When I run it, I always type chkdsk /r at the 'dos prompt' to be sure that it does the repairs on the next bootup.
Good point.

XP often ignores the chkdsk unless it is run from:

Start>Run>chkdsk /r

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
Thank you all for your help, but unfortunately I haven't be able to resolve the problem. Any further help would be appreciated. Thanks in anticipation.

Mike

W

Wolfeymole

Try booting into Safe Mode Mike by constantly tapping F8 on boot up.

Chose Safe Mode with Command Prompt and then type chkdsk C: /r

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
I don't seem able to get into Safe Mode! Whilst tapping F8 the following appears:

Please select boot device:
PM-_NEC DVD_RW ND-3530A
3M-SAMSUNG SP2504C
Generic STORAGE DEVICE
ditto
ditto
ditto
ditto

If I select the SAMSUNG option the computer boots up in normal mode.

It goes from bad to worse!! What next please?

W

Wolfeymole

It may also say for example on the POST screen press F12 to enter safe mode.

Do you see anything resembling that?

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
No, nothing to resemble that, but not quite sure what you mean by the POST screen. I'm sorry if I'm being a bit thick!

W

Wolfeymole

Your not thick mate ok.

POST (Power On Self Test) is the black screen that you see immediately on boot up that shows memory size, hard drives etc.
At the bottom you will also see the legend "Press Del (example) to Enter Setup"

You may also see "Press F2 (example) to Enter Safe Mode"

You have to be very watchful when the post screen boots as it quickly disappears.

RandyL

Administrator
PC Experience
Very Experienced
As Wolfey said you have to look quick to see the options at the POST screen. Some computers have different options to enter safemode as well as the BIOS.

What make and model is your computer? If it's a Samsung or NEC the options to enter safemode may be different. You could try holding down the ctrl key at bootup.
RandyL

W

Wolfeymole

Reading this post again Mike can I ask if you are actually typing;

chkdsk c: /f

or just

chkdsk /f

You need to specify a volume, or drive letter in other words, for check disk to examine.
For example if you had a partition called G then the command would be chkdsk g: /f

Example

mikeywikey

Free PC Help Contributor
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows 7- Home Premium
SUCCESS!!!
I was determined not to be beaten! I finally managed to operate in Safe Mode, and managed to run Chkdsk C: /f. As johnbee suggested it took several hours to run! I have finally managed to defragment without being told to run chkdsk!!
Thanks for all your help ... donation on its way!
Mike

W

Wolfeymole

Good to hear you are now fixed up Mike.

The donation is very appreciated.

Thank you from FPCH