• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

disk full???

stavros

FPCH New Member
Hello

I have a brand new 500GB external hard drive and am trying to transfer files to it from another external hard drive. Moving small files is fine but when I try to move larger files (a video clip of 12GB for example) I am told the disk is full, even though there is still over 460GB of free space. The same problem occurs when trying to take off the old drive and onto my laptop which has approx 28GB memory free.

Any ideas or help would be very gratefully recieved.

Cheers

Stavros

stavros

FPCH New Member
Hi Dave and thanks.
Yes, the new drive is FAT32 - the old is NTFS.
Is there a way to reformat?
Thanks
Stavros

You can, but it will wipe all the data on the drive.

Only do this on the external drive or you will have to reinstall windows !

Plug the drive in, go into my computer, right click on the drive and select format.

Danger this will wipe your laptop/desktop if you select the wrong drive !!

Change the file system to NTFS, select quick format if you are in a hurry, and click start.

Dave

W

Wolfeymole

Losing files doesn't have to be the case Dave if you don't mind me saying.
Have a look at this article regarding converting FAT to NTFS.

Convert FAT to NTFS

As a small note also it is impossible to format an active boot partition whilst in windows.

Nice one, never seen that before. I guess you cant go the other way though <grin>.

I tend never to underestimate the ability of the uninformed to do the impossible when it will cause the most damage.

Dave

PS Have you tried ? If so WHY ?

W

Wolfeymole

"PS Have you tried ? If so WHY ?"
Are you talking to me Dave?

I have inadvertently clicked on C: before today and of course the option to format is greyed out .

The only way to alter a boot partition within windows is to use software like Partition Magic or my preference Acronis Disk Director.
Even then, unlike non boot/active partitions, nothing happens until you reboot.
I.e. a not yet active environment, so to speak.

stavros

FPCH New Member
Thanks very much for all the information and help with this.
I will give it a try.
Best wishes
Stavros