• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Display problems- tower related

young1

FPCH New Member
i had a power surge a few weeks ago and for some reason my pc tower doesn't seem to be transmitting any information to my monitor. i know the monitor works as i tested it on the spare pc in my house.
i was wondering if it might be a problem with the graphics card, any ideas?

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
have you tried changing the power supply unit.
in most power surges the psu (power supply unit) is taken out first then other parts of hardware (not that often thanl god).
you can get a psu for about £15 from pc world or maplin or any other computer shop.
i would try that first.....or try a KNOWN working psu.
do you hear any beeps...or doesnt it power on full stop
regards
danzil

If you dont see ANYTHING on the display,no post, memory check, logo etc then (with the power unpluged)-

Unplug the graphics card (look out for the retension clip) and plug it back in.

same with the memory.

unplug all the cdroms harddrives floppy drive (power and data) but remember what went where!

Power it back up.

If you now get a display power off and plug the drives back in one at a time till it stops working.

You now either have a working system or know which drive is causing the problem.

If that did not work-

Power off and unplug all the cards, disk drives and memory.

Power on and it should give you lots of beeps, if not its the PSU CPU or motherboard.

Power spikes on the phoneline can kill the modem and a dead modem can stop a pc in its tracks.

Somone should do a basic tutorial on fault finding, how about it mike ? You fixed enough pc's in the shop <evil grin>.