• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

ethernet and wireless swapping

justenjoyit

FPCH New Member
Hi,
we currently have our internet connected to a wireless router downstairs then via ethernet hub to a computer upstairs. The problem is that the wireless cannot be received upstairs due to thick walls and ceilings. I want to swap the ethernet hub upstairs for the wireless hub downstairs, but the ethernet hub has no line input only 8 LAN inputs. Does this mean the line from the phone can only connect to the wireless router? Is so do i have to run the phone line upstairs?
thanks

londonles

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Hi

Basically yes, the router normally controls the broadband line in so if the phone line is down you will need to extend it up. The ethernet hub only acts as connection point.
Les

nickhegarty

FPCH New Member
Hello to everyone
i'm having problems with wireless networking,i moved my desktop from one room to another and lost the signalso had to change the channel it was bieng sent out on ,because of this i had to re-install my antivirus/firewall (windows onecare) and set up a new wireless network. this worked perfectly until i switched the computer off. After lots of headscratching i went through the setup wizard again it started to work again, until the computer was switched off. my printer is connected to the desktop upstairs and needs to be shared but now it seems that the computer keeps getting the settings mixed up and i can't find a way to delete the old wireless network settings

danzil

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Operating System
hey nickheegarty this post has been sorted,,, you will not receive a response unless you start your own post.
jumping iun on soimeone elses topic isnt good in most forums.and is frowned upon usually.please start your own post.
regards
danzil