• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Extending wireless network

alonsofan

FPCH Member
Hi,

at the moment we have two pc's upstairs which are connected, via cables, to the wireless router. It's a safecom swbarr-5400.

Downstairs, we have an x-box 360, Wii and a PS3 connected wirelessly to the router, as well as a laptop and 2x PSP's.

What we have found is that the PS3 downloads a lot slower than the laptop and the x-box. Reading through some forums, we've heard that the wireless card in the PS3 can be poor. So we connected the PS3 to the internet via a cable and it was a lot consistent.

We have a second wireless router, the same as the one currently in use, a safecom swbarr-5400.

What I'd like to do is to use both wireless routers- keep the current one upstairs with the cable modem, but set up the second one downstairs so that we can connect it to the PS3 via a cable.

I don't know if this can be done, or what to do to make it happen- all help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

W

Wolfeymole

Hi alonsofan

Welcome to FPCH

Networking unfortunately is not my speciality, but the member of the tech team that deals with these issues should be online shortly.
It would be appreciated if you could bear with us for a short while.

In the meantime I'm supposing you wish to connect these two routers together would that be correct?

alonsofan

FPCH Member
Yeah, I want the current router to connect to the spare router, wirelessly, to avoid having more cable clutter through the house, then i can connect the spare router to the PS3.

I've heard of a wireless bridge, but it means very little to me, so any advice would be great.

Thanks

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Yes - a LAN bridge is what is needed. It connects two networks together.

There may be an other option. Try this out - place the PS3 closer to the wireless router. If the speed increases, then a repeater is all that's needed.

I'm not familiar with this router so I downloaded the manual for your SWBARR-5400. It supports both Bridge and Repeater modes. Check out sections 1.4.2 and 1.4.3. The manual doesn't go into much depth, so it should work fairly easily.

alonsofan

FPCH Member
I have had to go for the bridge option, as moving the PS3 towards the wireless router doesn't make any difference. I've read that it needs to be connected via a cable for the best result.

I've enabled WDS on the existing router, and input the MAC address of the second router.

I've set the second router to bridge, and put in the MAC address of the existing router. I've put the same WEP key in both routers. I can access the internet from my pc which is wired to the existing router, and I can go online wirelessly with my laptop, but I can't get a connection from the second router.

It's currently connected to the second pc upstairs, next to the existing router, but no net connection. Do I need to change the any other settings?

Thanks

alonsofan

FPCH Member
I am using a pc with a cable to connect to each router- I can't access the router settings from the PS3.

The pc's are side by side and so are the routers, but I can't get an internet connection from router 2.

Does that help?

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
I wish I Knew more about your router. Check the manufacture's web site. Maybe there's something in the FAQ. Keep us informed. If I think of something, I'll let you know.