• Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

External Backup

samhen

FPCH New Member
Hi

I was wondering if anyone could recomend an external Hard drive or backup system? I dont know anything about them really ie, what kind I need or what memory?

Basicly its for a home PC, mainly to backup all my data on a regular basis, my husbands business records (Self employed, small business). Family photos, music files, that sort of thing.

I tried backing up online to the BT Storage but it doesnt even hold my photos and never completes the backup, so I wanted something more reliable. I'd be willing to spend upto around £100 after all I dont know what I'd do if I lost any of the data on my PC most of its irreplaceable.

Many thanks in advance. :)

W

Wolfeymole

Hi Sam

Welcome to Free PC Help

What kind of pc do you have, eg Desktop or Laptop?

If a Desktop then I would recommend fitting an internal hard drive depending on your system hardware and motherboard capabilities.
If you buy an external hard drive then the software I mention below will allow you to create a backup to both internal and external drives.

I use Acronis and it is the perfect solution to backing up all your personal stuff besides the Operating System.
It's priced at just less than £50
Have a look here for further details.

Backup software for data backup and disaster recovery in Windows and Linux - Acronis

Poconos

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Very Experienced
With my paranoia I would never consider backing up anything to a website especially personal and business data. I use external USB drives as they are completely separate from the operating PC electrically, physically, and from software (i.e. infection) standpoints. Physical separation is critical in the event of a disaster like a fire or theft. I use Acronis to periodically image the OS as necessary and simply copy critical files and directories using windows explorer. Nothing fancy. My three externals are all Western Digital and I don't think I paid more that $90 USD for any. Last purchase was a WD 500 GB at Target for $80 USD so prices are cheap when you catch sales.
Al