• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

External Hard Drive Problem

blueforever

FPCH New Member
hi i am wondering if anyone could help i am having a problem with my drive when i turn it on everything is fine for 5 mins or so then i get message delayed write fail data has been lost all the folders appear empty turn it off and back on again everything is ok again took drive back to shop they tested it and found no probs ran for hours i am a newbie to pc and dont have a clue how to solve my prob thanks for any help

Tony D

Free PC Help Long Term Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
OSX
Is this a USB-connected drive? If so, try another USB port on your computer. Also try another USB cable.

W

Wolfeymole

Hello Blue

Welcome to Free PC Help

You could also try a USB hub that is separately powered, ie mains electricity as there may not be enough power being supplied to the onboard usb's.

Something similar to this.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
This is actually a very common error on Windows XP though most new systems no longer appear to have the issue.

There are hundreds if not thousands of posts about this error and Microsoft even has a few KB articles about it. In my reading and testing (having had the same issue myself) it would seem to point to the MFG of the chipset being used for the USB channel you're connected to.

If you can, try buying a new cheap USB 2.0 PCI card for your PC (recommend NEC chipset if possible) and try that. I was able to get rid of that same problem on about a dozen PCs by changing to a newer USB card. Of course new PCs already come with new internal chipsets for it that seem to no longer have the issue.

If interested I can provide links but there are hundreds of pages to read on this subject.