• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

External Hard Drive

Persian

FPCH Member
Hi guys i have a problem with my external hard drive before i get to that i would like to thank everyone who helped me on my last issue i had thanks ok let's get to the point. I have a maxtor 200GB external hard drive and its having problems on opening one folder that i need i have in my drive loads of folders and they open ok but this one doesn't and its giving me a I/O device error? It worked fine before but now its running slow and its giving me that error?

Many Thanks

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
I would clear the temp files and then run hard drive error checking:

Download CCleaner from http://www.ccleaner.com/

Allow it to clear the temps, but do not use the registry cleaner.

Go to Start>Run, type in chkdsk /r (space between the K and the /) and press ok. Choose Y at the black screen that appears. Restart the computer and the chkdsk will begin.

Are you trying to open the folder by using a shortcut?

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Oops. I now see that's it an external drive. In that case, I would run error checking on that drive as well:

Right click on the external>Properties>Tools>Error Checking.

Persian

FPCH Member
Thanks guys sorry for late reply. Seth were is that external>Properties>Tools>Error Checking?

And Wolfeymole no its a e: drive just a hard drive for backup.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
FIX for Security Tab Missing XP Home

This is intended for Windows XP Home only.

Download this file from Microsoft. It is the Security Configuration Manager
Click Here

Save it to your system and remember where you saved it.
Double click the SCESP4I.EXE file you downloaded and extract the contents to a
new folder (it will create a folder for you - just give it a name)
Then open the folder you extracted the files to and locate the file Setup.inf
Right click Setup.inf and select Install. Once completed you need to restart your computer.

One you restart you should now see a SECURITY tab when you select PROPERTIES on Folders or files
where you can now choose in the Advanced options to TAKE OWNERSHIP of a file and / or reset permissions
as needed.

AdvancedSetup

FPCH Long Term Member
I'm hoping that the reason you're having issues is that for some reason you don't have rights to it.

I would install the Security item above and then reboot and then go to PROPERTIES of the folder in question then SECURITY, then ADVANCED, OWNER, select your account and select "Replace owner on subcontainers and objects", then click OK

Then see if you can access the folder.

W

Wolfeymole

Wolfeymole said:
Is this external drive in addition to the main boot drive, ie C: ?
What I meant Persian was that 99% of the time the main boot sector is called the C drive.
The external drive has been added later so therefore the drive letter will get bumped up hence E

Seth said:
Oops. I now see that's it an external drive. In that case, I would run error checking on that drive as well:

Right click on the external>Properties>Tools>Error Checking.
Double click My Computer and right click on the E drive which should be shown at the bottom of that screen as Removable Media and choose Properties.
Then click on the Tools tab like in the shot below.
Then click the Error Check button.