• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

First Build - Vista Won't Install

soccerpimp09

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
So i decided to build my first computer - after a lot of research i ended up with:

antec 900
Gigabyte x48-ds4
q6600
sapphire 4870
corsair 750tx
lite-on dvd/cd
xigmatek rife 120mm cooler
ocz reaper 800 (4gb)

It starts up fine - I went ahead and set the mem timings to factory recommendations and voltage.. but when it starts running vista from disk - it gets to the black screen with the green load bar - goes to the standard vista background... and just stops... blank.. background... nothing else... and I have tried pulling out 1 set of ram... diff. ram voltages... I really don't know what else to do... Its 15 mins into memtest86 without a problem... Anyone have any ideas? perhaps some bios things i should turn on or off? I'm really stumped - and since its my first.. have no clue what i'm doing...

Thanks in advance...

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Welcome to Free PC Help soccerpimp.

Just to be clear, the Vista install went ok, but after the install Vista won't load?

Any chance you can try loading up a different operating system on the build?

Other options:

1) See if Safe Mode works.

2) Load the bios defaults and be sure to save the changes. See how that works out.

3) Have you checked for a bios update?

soccerpimp09

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
thank you for the welcome - and no.. vista never gets installed.. i try booting from the disk (inorder to install it) and it never gets past that blank (er.. plain.. since it displays the background) - screen...

soccerpimp09

FPCH New Member
PC Experience
Beginner
Operating System
Got it to load.. i think.. increased MB voltage a little... but she is loading very slowly... hmm - must need to further tweek the bios....

Any suggestions on good CPU temp etc... monitoring programs?

Edit - sorry for the double post... merge if possible?

PC Experience
Elite PC Guru
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
You must be VERY careful with MB voltages - do not be tempted to up and up them until it loads faster as it can blow the Motherboard capacitors :eek:
Q6600 CPU's are extremely awkward - I had a very similar problem with my ABIT MOBO (search my posts)
Have you set the RAM timings for 4GB as they are different than for 2GB as the timings are slightly looser.

You may also be experiencing problems with the 4870 as they are BETA drivers. - I was going to get a 4870 lastweek until I saw the drop of the 260 GTX and I opted for that ;)

Last edited: