• This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn more.
  • Welcome to Free PC Help, a free PC Help forum to get help with your computer problems.

Free PC Help is a community that offers free computer help and support for all users, all ages, worldwide.

In order to start asking questions or contribute on someone else's post you will first need to register. Don't worry - it's quick and easy and once you have registered you will have instant access to the entire forum.

If you do decide to join the forums you will not have the option to send Private Messages [ PMs ] or add a Signature until you have made 5 posts or more. This is an attempt to try to stop Spammers using the PM system or adding links to their Signature.

Freezing

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Windows XP - Home Edition
Hi
Have just got my pc back after a vey expensive refurb. only to find that it freezes on the 1st window which is :"American Megatrends",it has a message :"initialising USB controllers" & another :"press DEL to start" but the keyboard does not respond , have double-checked all connections......any ideas please ? (oap with ly limited experience)

W

Wolfeymole

It sounds like whoever did this refurb did not do a very good job did they?

Did they offer any kind of guarantee regarding this work?

Please get back to us with this information.

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
PC refurb

You are right........I shall be knocking on their door 1st thing tomrrow morning,anyway , many thanks for the quick response,I'll be back ! :mad:

W

Wolfeymole

Your welcome John

Please don't think we are trying to palm you off but I find it outrageous when a person pays good money only to have a system come back in a worse state then it probably was before it left.

If you do not get any joy then please return asap John.

Seth

FPCH Long Term Member
Operating System
Windows Vista - Home Premium
Agreed Wolfey.

If they give you any hassle John, refer them to this thread.

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Freezing

Thanks All,
They went into something called the BIOS screen and set it to default.............everything now works but I wish they had done it in the first place.
On another matter, is there a quick way of switching my eml address from my wife's ( valay ) to mine?

Edit: Email address removed for security reasons

Happy now ! :):)

W

Wolfeymole

Which email client does your wife use John and which do you use?

Do you use POP3 like Outlook Express or a web based client like Yahoo?

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Freezing

Yahoo is the one we use thru BT homehub

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Freezing

Sorry,I don't understand your question ,think it best if I register again from my pc, we both use btinternet. :confused:

W

Wolfeymole

Ok so you are using BT Internet as your Internet Service Provider, that's fine.

Now it seems your wife has an email account with Yahoo, would this be correct?
Would you like one too?

Or are you saying you still want to use her email address to log on to this site?

John now your machine is working again and you want to visit this site just enter your UserName and password.
Don't worry about the email address you put when registering here.

jlay

FPCH Member
PC Experience
Some Experience
Operating System
Freezing

OK Wolf
I will go to my PC & send a message from there,()and use this one in future , unless something else causes it to go into sulks.
Wife's laptop is ().

Many thanks for your help , jl.

W

Wolfeymole

John
Please don't enter any of your email addresses in the public forum.

You will leave yourself wide open to being spammed from unscrupulous people who visit these forums for malicious reasons.

Now if you want to enter the forum at any time all you have to do is enter your User Name and your Password at the top right hand side, it would be advisable to tick "Remember Me" also.

I know the email address that you signed up with and this information is strictly confidential.

Your wife can continue to use her account with yahoo on her laptop and you can log into yahoo mail on your machine also with your yahoo ID and password.

Is this more clearer?